Seneca Gill nets

Gill nets

They have been three gill nets on the west side for the last three night or more not sure. Heard they would be done today.

!st net I saw was just south of the showboat going from the west side in about 90 FOW to east around 150' FOW....... then goin north about a 1.5 miles to the first major shaol same set up , and again going north close to the winery on the water.

We went down to the showboat as they came in. Pretty much had ALL laketrout said they were checking stomach content , size , weight , clipped fins , lamprey marks , test meat for contamination , scale sample for age and whatever else ,# of fish taken from 1:30 pm till morning......nets were from 105' to 180'  ...... pretty sure they were done..... he said it was the first time they did it this way and was because of all the complaints of lack of fish..... 

They had 4 nets , and a LOT of small lakers with a few 10#+ in the mix.................so move over guess my short run is over now with all the fish they killed in this area , I'll be over on my old fishing grounds next time out !!!!

Owasco had at least one out and boy do they do a bad job marking those nets! The buoy is about the size of a volleyball and I saw it just it time while up on plane. Could only imagine if I trolled up next to it...

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

These were about the size of a work zone cone with a flag and small light on top........ I was right on top of the first one yesterday before I saw it , not much wind so the flag didn't help any.......light would only be on at night.

3 minutes ago, OB1 said:

They also sat one up right in front of my place just south of severn

Ok that would have been the 4th one I didn't see last night.

Thanks for the reply wonder where it was....