Boat ramp manners

Boat ramp manners

I just want to throw this out there because it's really been irritating lately. It seems as fisherman we have forgot how to make it easy on one another to load and unload boats efficiently. 

The pic below is of what I came back to today at the ramp. What you can't see is the single vehicle parked on the other side of me in a way that made it impossible for me to cut my wheel enough to get around this joker... Also the  guy in the single car happens to be standing at the jeep  behind me (preventing me from attempting to back straight out even though I would've kissed mirrors with this truck anyway) and stood there talking for 15minutes while I clearly was trying to get out of this spot. Just please try to show respect and park in designated areas and get in the spot. Your tire or mirror hanging over isnt ok imageproxy.php?img=&key=7e961de8267f286aand after your boat is out get out of the way for the next guy....

20170728_120122.jpg

Edited by suttontroller94

Someone has a pretty good ding in their boat from hitting my trailer... Plenty room to get around... Some people can't drive. Down to Dean's that can't figure it out... Make one lane for in and one lane for out. Funny when both lanes get jammed up because tournament guys are trying to come in and everyone else is trying to go out after lunch. Traffic jam... 20 boats deep

Sent from my VS425PP using Lake Ontario United mobile app

People just have no sense of courtesy or intelligence during boating season.... This guy had a note on his windshield when he got back... Even the weed checker at the ramp said the guy knew he did it. She saw him park look at it several times then lock his doors and walk away. Next time he'll be missing a mirror.

i would to say when unloading or loading your boat in the dark and there is more than one ramp/ lane please turn off your head lights so you don't blind the guy trying back into the ramp next to you . a very simple thing to do it can make things run more smoothly...

Not trying to be a dick here by any means, but the word you are thinking of is "manners"...

I agree 100%.. Ramps are nightmares these days,  infested by sub morons.. For every guy or group of guys that gets the boat  on or off the trailer quickly and efficiently, and out of the way of others, there are friggin' TEN that take triple the time they should, clog up the line, and are just a huge pain in the ass..
 It KILLS me when guys put the rods in the boat, along with coolers,  bait,lunch, tubes and skies, hook up the FF,  gas tank, move crap around on the floor of the boat, tidy up, dig out the cushions and  vests, adjust the seats, adjust the tilt,, clean off the dash, wait for momma and the kids to go pee, etc etc etc, while others are waiting to launch or retrieve.. I fish alone most often, launch myself, and get OUT of everyone's way as fast as  I can...  All it takes is a tiny bit of consideration for other people... Sadly in the modern world, that is a VERY rare commodity.... bob

I too fish alone most days. I have my routine down pat. Everything in the boat. Ropes set for off or on trailer. I can be in or out in minutes. Want to have fun. Go to Skaneateles on a weekend. Guaranteed fight, swearing, drunks falling off the floating dock. Sheriff there twice a week. It's a shame. On the flip side I can't tell you how many times on Cayuga I've been ask if I could use a hand. Seriously, almost weekly.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Last Saturday, silver pickup with NJ plates, parked with his trailer COMPLETELY occupying the FIRST TWO parking spaces adjacent to the fish cleaning station at Wrights.  Was this guy an inconsiderate creep or a just moron?  If you cant drive or don't give a crap because that's the way it is where you come from, at least go way to the back of the lot where it doesn't get filled until late on very busy days - or better yet, ask for assistance from someone who looks like he knows what he's doing, most people would be happy to help.

i would to say when unloading or loading your boat in the dark and there is more than one ramp/ lane please turn off your head lights so you don't blind the guy trying back into the ramp next to you . a very simple thing to do it can make things run more smoothly...

Mine don't turn off. Sorry bud. Not that I got there that early. I know what you mean tho.

9 hours ago, FishingTheFL said:

Mine don't turn off. Sorry bud. Not that I got there that early. I know what you mean tho.

i hear ya , i had a blazer that the lights came on when started . then i found out when the parking park was on they went out , but who use the parking park with auto trans :shake:   

I just about took a guy's head off a few years ago when my daughter was younger, her, my wife and I were on Honeoye. My wife dropped me off at the dock and I went up and pulled the trailer around while she idled 50 yards out. The line was a few cars deep, but when it was my turn I backed in and motioned for her to drive on. And some schmuck who was tying his boat up to the dock to walk up and get his trailer started swearing at me about jumping in line. F-bombs flying in front of my daughter, unreal.

It turns out that he expected everybody to wait for him to go get his trailer and pull his boat out because he was tied up to the dock. Talk about inefficient. Rule of thumb: it's where you are in the line of vehicles with trailers that determines the loading order. Don't tie up to the dock where other guys are trying to load and just walk away. Don't expect to cut around other vehicles with your trailer--that can cause a Chinese fire drill. If you're alone, hitch your rig to the outer part of the dock. And talk to other guys...communicate...it solves lots of problems.

Needless to say, I don't fish the Finger Lakes much over the summer. Kayak and the big pond for me.

It is unfortu\nate but poor manners is not limited to launch ramps or boating now days. Drivers cut you off, give you the finger for pereived violations,store clerks don't even look at you while cashing out, people are too busy looking at their f ing phones to communicte in person with each other and doing so while crossing the street in front of traffic. Common courtesy is out the winfdow....and it is a shame....I know....the ramblings of a dinosaur:lol:

I use to take my work lunch hr  at times to the Canandaigua north end ramp for the free entertainment until they started charging for anyone to enter.....was like the end of the world when a t storm rolled in and 30 plus boats came flying in :lol:

I just about took a guy's head off a few years ago when my daughter was younger, her, my wife and I were on Honeoye. My wife dropped me off at the dock and I went up and pulled the trailer around while she idled 50 yards out. The line was a few cars deep, but when it was my turn I backed in and motioned for her to drive on. And some schmuck who was tying his boat up to the dock to walk up and get his trailer started swearing at me about jumping in line. F-bombs flying in front of my daughter, unreal.

It turns out that he expected everybody to wait for him to go get his trailer and pull his boat out because he was tied up to the dock. Talk about inefficient. Rule of thumb: it's where you are in the line of vehicles with trailers that determines the loading order. Don't tie up to the dock where other guys are trying to load and just walk away. Don't expect to cut around other vehicles with your trailer--that can cause a Chinese fire drill. If you're alone, hitch your rig to the outer part of the dock. And talk to other guys...communicate...it solves lots of problems.

Needless to say, I don't fish the Finger Lakes much over the summer. Kayak and the big pond for me.

I fish solo. People gotta wait for me to go get my trailer and come back to get my boat... I can have mine out in 5 mins or less. I see your point tho but not all of us fish with partners.

Like said before... Have your tubes, coolers, lines... Everything ready to go. Personally, one lane in, one lane out makes the most sense. We turned a road block into a civilized mess one day. Told my buddy to pull up infront of one guy going out on the south lane, give him just enough room to get out, I pulled up infront of him so I was the next one launching,, left the north lane for boats coming in.... Its the people who can't drive that mess it up.. Can't back your jet ski up in a straight line? Maybe you should practice before almost backing into mine and others boats!! Get a couple good laughs watching some these guys.

The guys that park just their trucks/cars in spots that are for trucks/cars WITH trailers are the one s that PO me. They should park in the spots just for cars!  Park on the edges of the lot or grass don't use the trailer spots.   I have also had guys back their trailer in front of my boat at the dock while I went to get my trailer, I get back & I can't back in to get my boat out of the water because they are in the way, come on really!!  Another time a guy asked if he could go ahead of me while I was getting my boat ready to launch, I said yes nly to get to the launch & find him in the launch just putting in his skis, coolers,  lines, bumpers etc. I ended up waiting 5 min. for him.   never happened again!

The guys that park just their trucks/cars in spots that are for trucks/cars WITH trailers are the one s that PO me. They should park in the spots just for cars!  Park on the edges of the lot or grass don't use the trailer spots.   I have also had guys back their trailer in front of my boat at the dock while I went to get my trailer, I get back & I can't back in to get my boat out of the water because they are in the way, come on really!!  Another time a guy asked if he could go ahead of me while I was getting my boat ready to launch, I said yes nly to get to the launch & find him in the launch just putting in his skis, coolers,  lines, bumpers etc. I ended up waiting 5 min. for him.   never happened again!

Boat behind us was going out I should mention, I, my situation.

I fish alone too and I'll tell you, it's not easy but it doesn't have to be difficult either. It's one thing to park a boat at the dock while you go get your trailer, but it's another to insist that everybody wait for you when they're ready to go. Almost all of the ramps I've been at have a spot you can tie up without tying up the ramp itself. I'm sure the guys on here aren't the ones holding things up for the most part...IMHO.

We had a guy at Dunkirk the other day put his boat in the water , tied to the only dock that wasn't covered with goose crap. Then he went to park his car/trailer took his time walking back then decides to go to the john, comes out 10 mins. later in shorts & tee shirt after he went in with long pants & long sleeve shirt! All the while his boat tied up the dock & no one else could launch!   And to top it off the 2 guys working the launch sat in the building doing nothing to clean the dock covered with crap.  I did let my feelings be known before I left!

I was in Canandaigua today loading. Went to grab truck by the time I came back there was a truck parked in middle between me and next ramp so I backed around him and pulled my boat out. Why he wouldn't have straightened out in the lines is beyond me especially with Canandaigua launch being so big and nice. O and not another boat around. Surprisingly even with a broken boat I kept my mouth shut. I wasn't in a very good mood lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk