Boat ramp manners

It is unfortu\nate but poor manners is not limited to launch ramps or boating now days. Drivers cut you off, give you the finger for pereived violations,store clerks don't even look at you while cashing out, people are too busy looking at their f ing phones to communicte in person with each other and doing so while crossing the street in front of traffic. Common courtesy is out the winfdow....and it is a shame....I know....the ramblings of a dinosaur[emoji38]

Les, brontosaurus?...you should have been born a T rex. Eat the weak inconsiderate finger flyers!

Money doesn't buy happiness,
but it does buy horsepower....
I've never seen a sad person in a boat haulin' A$$...!

sodus was a zoo around 1 :30 to 2 i came  in drop my buddy off on the side docks and then putter around when my truck trailer was backing in i came in and loaded in less than five mins . as crowed as it was it went like clock work , i was surprised .

Edited by fisherdude

I thought it was just me thinking no one has manners anymore. Maybe because I'm 63 I still feel my late father would slap me in the head if I wasn't courteous. No one says thank you anymore it's sad

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

3 hours ago, tim said:

I thought it was just me thinking no one has manners anymore. Maybe because I'm 63 I still feel my late father would slap me in the head if I wasn't courteous. No one says thank you anymore it's sad

X2  for sure!

For sure x3.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Guy at the Oneida south shore boat launch dropped his jet skis off then pulled up in front of the only slip that is deep enough to launch and unhooked his trailer, leaving it in the staging area, so his wife could take the Saab while him and his son go riding. Wtf is wrong w people. Come courtesy is in short supply these days. The next day the same guy is parked in the grass by the lake. Must be he couldn't walk the 50 yards from the huge parking lot that is made for parking in.

1 minute ago, troutperchbeeman said:

Guy at the Oneida south shore boat launch dropped his jet skis off then pulled up in front of the only slip that is deep enough to launch and unhooked his trailer, leaving it in the staging area, so his wife could take the Saab while him and his son go riding. Wtf is wrong w people. Come courtesy is in short supply these days. The next day the same guy is parked in the grass by the lake. Must be he couldn't walk the 50 yards from the huge parking lot that is made for parking in.

What kept you from throwing a chain around that guys trailer and dragging it sideways to the other end of the lot?

i put time and effort into practicing and setting up my trailer, and procedure to put in / pull out lightning fast by myself or with someone.  That and parking so you don't get blocked and you especially don't block anyone.  If busy, I do my little things away from the dock.  How is all that so hard for people.  Truthfully I avoid busy launches even if I'm quick.

Public launch by arney's gets worse and worse every year. Its always the guys that come in and tie up to close for the next person to launch and not on the outside or other dock. Or the people that pull down and then take their sweet time to get rods out or sort through tackle and find lures. Drives me nuts. I fish by myself and always park on the outside of the dock whether coming in or going out. When coming in the boat gets driven on, winch attached and off to the parking lot I go to take care of the rest. Blows my mind sometimes to watch people.

Sent from my LGL64VL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

It's not just the FInger Lakes...I'm here for a week at Upper Saranac and I put the boat in at Fish Creek campground. There's a small gravel ramp with a dock, not good but good enough for the Lund. The guy ahead of me launched, packed three of his pals into the boat and left Grandma at the dock with the truck--with the trailer pulled out of the water but blocking the ramp. I waited patiently for 5 minutes in the turnaround, no possibility of missing me, and finally asked Grandma to pull the truck forward so I could launch. She seemed surprised. The woman checking trailers for DEC remarked that if I hadn't asked, I'd probably still be waiting. I don't get it...

Today at big O. Guy is backing in a 21 ft boat. Not going to mention color etc. 1/2 way in. He hits the brakes. I think- he thought he was in the water. Boat slides off trailer and slams on the motor. People yell stop stop. So he realizes the boats half off the trailer sitting on the motor. Throws it in reverse and grinds the motor into the bottom! Oh my GOD! Pulls boat out to dock end. Starts the motor, it burns up in about 3 minutes. Unreal. Second time I've seen this happen.
You just have to see it to be leave it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

3 minutes ago, Bassin Bob said:

Today at big O. Guy is backing in a 21 ft boat. Not going to mention color etc. 1/2 way in. He hits the brakes. I think- he thought he was in the water. Boat slides off trailer and slams on the motor. People yell stop stop. So he realizes the boats half off the trailer sitting on the motor. Throws it in reverse and grinds the motor into the bottom! Oh my GOD! Pulls boat out to dock end. Starts the motor, it burns up in about 3 minutes. Unreal. Second time I've seen this happen.

Wow. 

While this isn't manners it does clog up a ramp and is entertaining to share.

I was with a buddy on round valley reservoir in NJ when 2 younger guys launched a 16ft boat with usual vinyl covered wood floor & pedestal seats.  I happened to be standing there while my buddy was parking the truck for our boat.  I look over and caught a glimpse in this guys boat of water just poking into the bottom of a pedestal seat mount that didn't have a seat in it.  Yelled at the one guy to put the bilge on and the other guy (who was still there) to back the trailer back in immediately.  He said why and just yelled shut up and do it your sinking.  Managed to get it back on the trailer enough to stop it from sinking  lol.   

And the problem was.....new to them boat, first launch and they put the boat plug in the live well intake instead of the drain hole. 

Coincidentally my father in law  has two giant stick on letters on his transom next to his livewell intake on his Lund  NO.   I laughed to myself when I first saw it....didn't need to ask why it was there. 

On Cayuga pulling boat to inspect something on outdrive this weekend at treeman finished and went to back boat back down and someone had taken up residence behind us explained we were re launching offered to help them move to other side of pier was plenty of open slots ... they move and once the trailer is in watch the guy try driving boat on trailer misses completely throws in reverse try's again. Misses again almost runs aground on ramp parallel to trailer then guns it in reverse almost hits dock on otherside slams it in forward and smashes into another boat that had just launched and was waiting for dad to return after parking anyone that has launched or recovered at treeman knows you can load your boat and unload it by walking it on w lines from these awesome piers... I couldn't take it anymore I yelled at him to shut off his engine had the owner reback in where I was holding the boat and I walked it on to the trailer from the dock... no permanent damage but come on plug in the brain here ....

I'm reading these comments while sitting in my chair at a water site in a campground on Sacandaga lake. 5 mph speed limit no wake zone while people a flying back and forth in boats and jet skis.

13 hours ago, tim said:

I'm reading these comments while sitting in my chair at a water site in a campground on Sacandaga lake. 5 mph speed limit no wake zone while people a flying back and forth in boats and jet skis.

I don't know about Sacandaga but Great Sacandaga is one of the most unregulated lakes in the state. You can do whatever you want there.  I have a customer who brags about his son's boat that has exceeded 100 mph on that lake and is trying for 110 - really???  Off shore is the place for that, imho.  I threw out the anchor to swim for a while with the kids in an area where about 30 other boats were anchored up doing the same - unbelievably guys were ripping through the anchorage doing 30+ mph between and within 15 yards of anchored boats with dozens of people in the water. Smart people.

[emoji23]

I had my crank strap break early in the season, forgot to hook up the safety chain... Got 3/4 the way out... Boat slid back landed on the motor, bow way up in the air... Least I was smart... Stopped, got out and tied the bow and cranked her slowly back on while to others pushed. Glad they where their. More embarrassing then anything but I won't ever forget that safety chain... Going to upgrade it to a locking carabeiner.

0 damage.[emoji106]

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

In general it can take a bit of patience to launch and load at the Conesus State Boat Launch.   I'm not about to become the launch police. Many folks don't launch or load that often and have large (say pontoon boats) so they often take time in getting in or out of the water.

My only real pet peeve is the guys who load, then don't bother to pull up away from the dock to prepare their boat for trialing home. They just pull the boat out of the water and do all their stuff about 25' to 50' from the water thus preventing - making it difficult for the next guy to load. Just today I had to practice my trailing skills by weaving my trailer all over the place while backing up to get around a pair of such fisherman (who weren't novices).

Oh well.

Edited by NPike

Saturday there was a guy at tughannok who launched a boat and sat  right there with trailer in the water while there while 2 guys took the boat out into the lake for a few test laps. One of the other ramps was in use forcing us to use tbe ramp that has an uneven tilt and broken apart concrete I told the guy it was rude and he didn't seem to have a problem with it. Then the guys came back in and decided to power load boat... I lost it, told them that guys like that are the reason for the ramp damage in the first place that is why the sign right next to them says no power loading... some people just don't get it

Edited by suttontroller94