Walker releases

Walker releases

Hey folks . Still figuring out my gear . All 4 of my riggers have walker releases.  I really like the setup of them and they are very simple to deploy . However I had a heck of a time tripping them from the boat to bring my line up . At one point I actually had to reel the weight up on one so I could release it.  Is there a trick to this or is it just the nature of them? I tested different tensions to the point it was a hair trigger and still was hard to release from above . 

I also have a handful of roamer releases that seem useful for stacking if I ever wanted to punish my novice self with tangles . I have messed around with them and I can trip them everytime from above , however they are clumsy to setup and I much prefer the walkers.

any tips or is there another style release that is the across the board preferred?

Sounds like you might have a setup issue.  Do you have adjustment end oriented up?  Are you just putting about 3/4 of a wrap into release? I've used Walkers for years and can set light to heavy.  Don't give up-keep working with them and you'll sort it out.

1/2-3/4 wrap pull to lock in .. drop it in the water. Love the simplicity . And releases very well from bait side.  I just read there is a certain orientation they need to be installed. Will investigate in the morning as I honestly am not sure.

I use Walkers in the spring for shad season very fast to set. The one thing I found is to bring the line from the rod to the inside of the release and 3/4 wrap to the outside with the lure. Hope I said it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I like Walker releases a lot. But I don't follow the directions on the card. Instead, tighten them down pretty tight. Make a "U" shaped loop in your line and pull it upwards into the release from below. That's it. Do NOT wrap completely around the release pin per the instructions, that's what is preventing you from releasing them from the boat. You'll find that you can snug down your rods really tight and smaller fish can still release the line.

Used this way it works great, is very easy to rig, there's no wrapping of line over itself to make a loop which is necessary for Blacks and Chamberlain style releases, and there's no threading the line like with a Roemer.

Don't give up on them without trying what I suggest first. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how nice they work.

Btw, the adjustment knob should be angled upwards and the release end should be angled downwards. It's possible to install the release upside down and they won't hold the rod tension well if upside down.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

A great tip and even though i don't use them it is nice to know if on someone elses boat too:yes:

Edited by Sk8man

A great tip and even though i don't use them it is nice to know if on someone elses boat too:yes:

If you have one lying around, you should give it a try. You might prefer them. Mine have to be 35 years old and they still work great.

:) Yeah I still have a couple of the first Blacks somewhere in perfect shape that were actually white in color.....mid to late 70's maybe...sometimes old school is the right school:lol:

Edited by Sk8man

Backwards :thinking:.  Flipped and also tried the suggestions about line direction.

There's no need to insert the line in one direction as it works equally well either direction. Don't over-complicate things. That's the beauty of these releases, sheer simplicity and great functionality. Trust me, form the "U" shape and just pull it up into the release from below.

• 2 weeks later...