Strategy for Olcott Sunday 7/30

Strategy for Olcott Sunday 7/30

We are going Sunday 7/30 waves permitting. Based on the temperature maps, and current map,  see links, where should I go?  How far?

If you know how to interpret these, and you can help, I would appreciate it. Or, maybe these don't provide the information needed to make a decision as to a starting point.

I went to the Salmon School, this year, and to be honest, I was hoping they would cover how to find the fish in more detail. I believe locating the fish is the biggest and most important aspect of success. Once you know how to set the lines, and what spread to put out, it is fairly routine.  But although one Captain did discuss it, it was very brief relative to the amount of time spent on what lure to use, and what length of leader etc. It was a good course, glad I went,  but they ran out of time and really breezed over the how to find them portion.LOCATION- or starting strategy for the next day would have been very valuable to the guys that get one weekend day a week, if that.

Thanks.

Temps:

http://www.coastwatch.msu.edu/ontario/o1.html

https://www.glerl.noaa.gov//res/glcfs/glcfs.php?lake=o&ext=swt&type=N&hr=00   

Currents:

https://www.glerl.noaa.gov//res/glcfs/glcfs.php?lake=o&ext=sfcur&type=F&hr=01

I'm known for being blunt and I'm going to be. Your thinking waaaaaaay too much. Sometimes you need to just go out and set up inside then troll north. Relax a bit and go fishing.

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

It would appear at the time of the charting, warmer water is offshore. With winds calming down, the Niagara flow may take the midwaters back overnight so what silverfox said may hold true. If you want to hunt before you fish, run out to 150', stay in neutral and watch the graph. Put you probe down and find the thermocline. Nothing on the graph?....cruise out to 250' and repeat. Nothing at 250'..... shoot out to 400' and set lines trolling North until you find fish. 

Location is the most important factor in the fishing equation. Cant catch what isn't there. We all have pretty much the same lures /equipment / program. but some use it better than others. but that is a different dissussion .

As far as a staring point, and this goes for all types of fishing IMO , Find structure. some sort of dropoff or point which will influence the current. Some fish will almost always be on ,around or suspended off of it. If you go offshore ,say past 180 ft, look for changes in the water as the current from the Niagara river on west or north wind , especially up west that way. Keep your program simple. A few lures spaced apart on riggers and maybe a dipsey or two .

Good luck 

Thanks guys. This morning 7 /30 I found the surface was 70 degrees right out of Port. I went to 100 for and trolled out 488 fow. Caught one Steelie at 400. Eventually turned South again and caught 4 more Steele's and one coho between 450 ,and 300. Seemed the water was pretty warm all the way out to about 400.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app