Fish scales falling off

I noticed yesterday, 7/31, most of the fish we caught, Steelheads and one coho, all had lost some of their scales. And scales were coming off them as we handled them. I noticed the same thing last year. They look kind of ratty. Is this a disease, or do they molt like my chickens?

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Usually happens when fish are or have been hanging around, out of temp, in warmer water. Is what I was told.

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

No. Scales fall off summer steelhead and cohos because the scales are not mature. No different than pin feathers on a bird, they only mature when the fish is nearing maturity or its spawning cycle. Cohos spawn later than kings so their scales don't mature until late August or even September. Steelhead are late winter/spring spawners so their scales mature even later than that.
You will also see scales falling off immature 1 and 2 year old kings at any time of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Usually happens when fish are or have been hanging around, out of temp, in warmer water. Is what I was told.

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

No. Scales fall off summer steelhead and cohos because the scales are not mature. No different than pin feathers on a bird, they only mature when the fish is nearing maturity or its spawning cycle. Cohos spawn later than kings so their scales don't mature until late August or even September. Steelhead are late winter/spring spawners so their scales mature even later than that.
You will also see scales falling off immature 1 and 2 year old kings at any time of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app