Fingerlakes Marine service.

lily

Anybody ever use fingerlakes marine service to have work done on there boats. Had a issue with my boat and they are the closest marina to me. Just wondering if anybody has any opinion of the work they do. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I live about 10 minutes from Myers and I know of a couple people that had problems with them. Both from a time and cost stand point. However I have heard good things about Johnson boat yard in Ithaca but have never used them before. Hope it works out for you. Was in a similar situation this past spring. Good luck!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

What's the matter with your boat ?  That's what this forum can help you with, then point you in the right direction. 

A few weeks ago Finger Lakes Marine Service just gave me directions how to diagnose a  problem on my boat to save me money.

I took about three hours figuring it out.  They gave me the part number told me they could order it or get my own if I found it at a good price.  Got the part , had them install it ,They worked on the boat for over an hour and just charged me one hour labor. I started working on it on Sunday, got the part, and they fixed the boat Friday morning. 

No one has to wait until January, they're getting boats in as fast as other marinas.

Johnsons Boat Yard sold their lift a couple of years ago, so all the big boats  from their marina, Treman, and other locals especially big boats aren't stored, serviced or winterized  there anymore. Ouch. 

So tell us what's wrong, maybe someone on here can help like L & M.  Is it not starting, running rough,smoking, overheating, shift problem, taking on water Let us know. 

I think I have a couple issues. The most frequent problem is that boat us running well in neutral but when I shift into forward or reverse the boat dies. Left me stranded on Sunday and I had to be towed in to Myers. From what I have read this could be anything from a bad motor to a carborator issue to a shift cable issue or a bad shift inhibiter switch. I'm also having a issue with getting the boat up out of its hole when trying to get on plane. Some times boat will stall while trying to climb up out of its hole. Not all the time but some times. It has a Rochester quadrajet that was rebuilt less than a year ago and has less than 30 hrs.on the rebuild. I know these 2 problems could be related i also know that they may be 2 separate issues. My other problem is that the boat is dry docked at Myers more than a hour from where I live. I contacted the Finger lakes marine service and they were willing to go over and get the boat and take it to there shop and have one of there mechanics look at it. They said it would be in the next couple of days. My 3rd issue is my work schedule is leaving me very little time to get anything done and on the rare time I do have off I want to fish and not turn wrenches. I guess it's just time for me to quit fiddling with it and have a pro look at it. The people at the marina were berry helpful and nice on the phone. I don't know much about them but I have never had anybody but friends or my self work on my boat. I'm just hoping for the best at this point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Hank at L & M or

Suggestion, if they can't get it in for a couple of days, I'd order the inhibiter switch so you've got it in your hand. Myself I'd get the cable also.  You can always send it back. 

Call Allen at snake Creek marine  570-967-2109.  He is busy and you might have to leave a message. CALL in the morning. He knows these motors inside and out.  He might tell you over the phone what the problem is.There were Mercury Service Bulletins on these switch's.  If you get to the lake and its not the switch and Finger Lakes can look at it or throw the cable in, it might be resolved. 

Allen at Snake Creek might tell you that the two issues are related or unrelated.  

If finger Lakes knows you're coming see if they can look at it when you get there parts in hand.

Finger  Lakes will fix it  or have Snake Creek.  Both have worked on my boat without getting scorched. Sounds to me like you've got it narrowed down.