Auto pilot

Anyone suggest a place to install an auto pilot to my outboard (200 Verado hydraulic steering). Doesn't have to be fancy just basic functions. Hoping to get this done soon. We looking at the Lowrance autopilot for $1000 plus install costs? Not stressed over budget just need reliability. I currently have lowrance units which is why I'm leaning to that thought. I live in Spencerport Rochester area

Sent from my XT1650 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You will be happy with the Lowrance; I'm running one and I'm more then satisfied. I do have Gen-3 so it make very easy to control from the MFD screen. The only part that is more problematic on the installation part is the bleeding of the hydraulic system. 

What kind of hydraulic system are you running with youre Verado? Electric power steering or just the regular Seastar?

Talked with Frank this morning and definitely going with the Lowrance unit. I have a Elite Ti7 at the wheel and a HDS been 2 touch at the rear. What I'm reading I can't hook the Elite to the Auto pilot??
If this is the case I'm going to order a Gen2 touch 9 for at the wheel and move my Elite to the bow (Terrova)

The Ti can't be link with the AP only on a Motor Guide Xi5

The Simrad Go series can be link to the Lowrance AP and they do have a nice interface; you should consider the cost of a Simrad Go vs the cost of a Gen-2 Touch, considering the 2 is at the end of life.

Maybe you can find a Gen-3 at a good price and that will be the very best because you can link it with the actual Gen-2

Jeremy - I had to upgrade from my Lowrance Gen1 HDS5 to HDS9 Gen2 to drive the auto pilot, pretty sure it wont run off your Elite Ti7, but might be worth a call to Lowrance. I run the Lowrance autopilot on a Yamaha 115 4 stroke with Seastar hydraulic steer. After its all connected and hydraulics bleed I did need to do a software update to my HDS9 Gen2 during the commissioning of it, got the download off the web at Lowrance site, and after that it was straight forward and worked ever since, I probably have a couple hundred hours on it and no issues. 

The ap is compatible with: HDS Gen-2 non touch, HDS Gen-2 Touch, Gen-3 and Carbon. It's not compatible with the Elite Ti series. The Ti can control a Xi5 but not the ap

Because Lowrance & Simrad are from the same familiy it's also compatible with Simrad EVO-2 & EVO-3 and with the Go series. With the GO series you can't control a Xi5 but you can use it with the Hydraulic ap; also Lowrance also have the same ap for a cable steer steering.

43 minutes ago, Jeremy Goodison said:

Do you know the best transducer for Gen 3 salmon fishing? Should I get stock 50/200 or you know a better options???

The 50/200 is a good choice but if you want something much better get a Airmar TM-150 a true CHIRP transducer. I use one and I fish mostly Lake Champlain for landlock and I'm more then happy.

It's quite easy to install if you are just a bit mechanically incline. It's easier because it's on NMEA2000; the touchy part is the bleeding of the system at the end of the installation and for this you need another pair of arms.

There is some excellent videos on the installation and commisionning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTna8E8ZlSw

Commisionning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGRFtxc-yYk

Edited by wallyandre

Who did you choose for install or did you decide to do it yourself

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Hank , L&M Marine. The auto pilot and HDS9 Gen 3 are in route [emoji3]. Once I get it in hand it will get on his schedule. Can't happen fast enough

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to let guys know how I made out. I ended having Hank from L&M Marine in Port Bay install it. I can't say enough about Hank and his employees workmanship. He worked around the fact I fish three days a week, guesstimated the length of the project accurately, and his work is impeccable..... He also actually came in cheaper than his initial ballpark quote. So if anyone needs an honest mechanic Hank is your man. Tomorrow I get play with the AP out on the lake