Cannon electric rigger - slow retrieve?

One of our downriggers retrieves much slower than the other identical / same age rigger. Has this happened to anyone else? I need to check wire voltage between the 2 to confirm it's not a bad wire--- but if voltage is the same on both, is this the first sign of electric motor going bad? or is there a replaceable part on the motor (capacitor?) going bad? I haven't opened it up yet...

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I had the same thing happen to one of my Cannon Mag 10As and eventually I could smell something burning. Turns out there was a ton of corrosion at the terminal where the downrigger cable met the fuse box which caused too much resistance and overheated the wire. Cleaned it off and the rigger started pulling again, weird the fuse never blew...... Maybe something similar with yours? 

Is it further away from the battery than the faster one? They draw a lot of current on the retrieve and if your battery is starting to go it can also affect them. Also make sure you are using large gauge wire

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

1 hour ago, bout time said:

Is it further away from the battery than the faster one? They draw a lot of current on the retrieve and if your battery is starting to go it can also affect them. Also make sure you are using large gauge wire

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I agree the farther away the rigger is from the battery the current draw properties change dramatically also. A shorter wire lead may have a resistance of lets say less than 120 ohms whereas a longer wire may be 240 ohms. Using ohms law which is Current =resistance/ voltage , a 120 ohm wire divided by a 12volt source would give you a 10Amp draw where if you double the 120ohms to 240 ohms on the wire you will have a 20 amp draw on your wires! Loose connections do the same thing to the current draw because it decreases the resistance( ohms increase) therefore current increases for the same amount of voltage.