Dipsy divers

Using fireline is not mandatory. Many people run mono dipsy's. I will run mono dipsy's set on 3 up high for steelies. If you want to fish deeper that is were the fireline and wire come into play. You will get much deeper with less line out than runing mono. The dipseys are much easier to trip as well because you don't have the stretch of mono. I would recomend running the new style snubbers with the no stretch line. They will help absorb the violent strikes and I have a much higher landing percentage with the snubbers. H.I.H.

Matt

I also run nothing but 30# PowerPro on my divers (although I'm going to try wire on a few this year). One trick to triping them (which most of you know, I'm sure) is to aim your rod staight at the diver, thumb the spool hard and pull staight back. This takes the rod flex out of the picture and allows you to set them a bit tighter. But.. I only catch big fish :lol: ! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Lucky1 - The reason for a snubber when using wire or braided line is due to the "no stretch" characteristics of the line and violence of the strike causing breakoffs if not used. Mono line stretches and absorbs the strike (in most instances :D )

I ran black last year on the inputs of alot of guys on this site and Stayed with them.They did very well in the summer months So I can't answer for the spring time when bright colors might be a good option.Just my 2 cents

• 2 weeks later...
Gentleman: New to the LOU tonight. I am slowly getting into trolling, mostly for lakers and LL salmon on Lake George and Adirondack area. I am reading that a snubber is used after the dipsy. How much leader is commonly placed after the snubber to the lure? What are the considerations for using Dipsy's -vs- Downriggers and is there an advantage to using Dipsy's over DR's?

Thanks- Mike

I run my leader 6 feet back. You want the net to be able to reach the fish once the dipsy gets a foot from the rod tip.

I use both dipsys and riggers. The dipsys get the lure down & away from the boat & the riggers are down and back making a nice spread of lures.

• 5 weeks later...

What color snubbers do you guys prefer on the dipseys? I need to get one or two more and I would like to get clear but I have not found them so far. Thanx Ps I run my dipseys about six feet back, I also have a small boat. I just bought a slide diver so I'm goona try that.

• 2 weeks later...

we run black or purple mainly and do very well. We have caught a few using a watermelon

We have 20# big game mono. to the dipsey then run about 6' back to a spin dr/fly or e-chip/fly. Ususally one of our hottest setups.