New Trail Cams..

T_barb

I was looking to replace to old 35mm trail cams.. Looked around and read some reviews.. debated on regular flash or infared..

After mush research and talking to some folks decided to go with a fairly new product.. Scout Guard 550's...

They are infared and do both photos and video..

They are very small (...see picture) and it makes it easy to put them on even the smallest of trees. Plus you can put them in your pocket if riding an ATV..

They are supposed to switch in and out of infared mode much better then some of the competing units...

The attached picture was actually taken with one of the units... They are able to keep the size down because instead of doing all of the programming on the unit, it has a little remote (..looks like an iPod) that you plug in and set everything... it is really kind of slick and very easy to use... seem fairly reasonably priced at $199, which included shipping..

Being infared, a set of 8 AA batteries is supposed to be good for a few thousand pictures.. We will see...

I put them up this morning and plan to check next weekend... I set one on camera mode and one on video mode...Will post some pics and updated review at that time..

aV2mNtf9.jpg

T-barb,

That looks like a pretty neat camera! I think infrared is the way to go. I think the flash does spook some deer, not all (IMHO). I have 2 Moultree infrared cameras and one Cuddeback flash camera. Here are 2 pictures that makes me believe the flash can SOMETIMES spook deer. These pictures were taken 2 minutes apart. I do like my flash camera and will continue to use it though.

Brian(Goin Deep)

aV2n8z4S.jpg

aV2n8QxS.jpg

[/u]

Well I hung the new cameras last saturday afternoon adn went and grab the cards out of them yesterday (friday).. I had set one on camera mode and it had 22 pics and the other on video mode and it had 9 videos..

These cameras are really slick and easy to use.. part of it is probably the fact that I am switching over from 35mm cameras.. It is great to be able to pull the card, head to the cabin and see what is there..

Here are a couple picks and a video..

Pq48GRA.jpg

gxapAd9.jpg

The cameras get addicting and the bucks get the heart pumping... I am getting ready to Rock & Roll

• 2 weeks later...

Put a camera in an area I wanted to cover with my climber and got a shot of this buck... I think I will definitley be triming out som shottinh lanes...

The picture isn't very good, but if you click on it to get a bigger view, you get the hint

aV119iKi.jpg