OLCOTT 8/2 MORNING

Went right out to 400'.  No fooling around.  60' down temp was 46.  Perfect.  trolled north and as soon as I hit 440 fow it was on.  Conditions were rough for me on my 16' boat fishing solo today.  Winds and chop were an issue.  Landed 7 between 440-480 fow in about 2.5 hours of actual fishing time.  Not one single hit on a spoon today.  Nothing over 18 lbs.  Great day for me.  The bonus was landing a king right in front of a charter boat hat had cut me off.  That makes 3 times in a row that I let paying customers on a charter boat watch me pull in a nice king as their captain cut me off. 

I alway find it amazing with a lake the size of Ontario a boat will be on course directly at you. I totally understand most large boats have auto pilot. I also understand they have an on / off switch. My captain friend constantly turns his off to avoid cutoffs. Some just own the lake from boarder to boarder. Having attended sailing classes, both power and sail and attaining a license there is a section on rules / regs and courteous behavior. Paying customers expect to catch fish. Boat owners fish for fun; alone, with friends etc.
Be nice to each other. Keep landing fish in the bad guys face. Acknowledge the good guys. Be safe have fun.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

So, just so I have the facts straight. You were in a 16' boat out in 450' fishing solo with wind and waves making it hard for you to steer the boat and hook, fight and land fish. You say the charter boat cut you off, and this has happened 3 times this year. Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.

iPilot controls the boat steering with GPS.  I was on a straight course with the wind partially at my back.  Most boats heading due north.  This boat turned due east on a collision course.  He changed course.  I then had to turn west to avoid him.

Any semi-skilled fisherman can hook, fight, and land a fish solo.

iPilot controls the boat steering with GPS.  I was on a straight course with the wind partially at my back.  Most boats heading due north.  This boat turned due east on a collision course.  He changed course.  I then had to turn west to avoid him.
Any semi-skilled fisherman can hook, fight, and land a fish solo.

Exactly!..you did the right thing. Avoidance of dumbasses is always best. If nothing else but to save YOUR gear and integrity. Happens often when you seem to be hooked up. You could yell over like I do, ask them if you can net their fish too. Oh, you don't have a fish?
Good job solo in the small boat, be safe in those rough conditions when some disrespecting ass forces you into a possible side broach in waves. Keep your safety high on the list when alone, and good fishing!

Money doesn't buy happiness,
but it does buy horsepower....
I've never seen a sad person in a boat haulin' A$$...!

The thing that gets me is we always find our own fish and never go to where other boats are fishing, it's a big lake with plenty of fish to find. As soon as you put the net in they all come running to you, drives me nuts that nobody can find their own fish! Happened to me the last time out in the evening, we got out for a couple hours before dark. Found good bait setup and started catching right away, here comes a big 38 foot flybridge to join us! After ripping him on the radio a couple times he finally left. 

The thing that gets me is we always find our own fish and never go to where other boats are fishing, it's a big lake with plenty of fish to find. As soon as you put the net in they all come running to you, drives me nuts that nobody can find their own fish! Happened to me the last time out in the evening, we got out for a couple hours before dark. Found good bait setup and started catching right away, here comes a big 38 foot flybridge to join us! After ripping him on the radio a couple times he finally left. 

Have u ever come across 2 or 3 charters working together in a line coming down the lake with there boards out 150 feet on a side with nothing hooked to them in a pack of boats what a path that is it happened to me last spring I told coast guard they said if I see that again call them and they will take care of them boats doing that

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Just now, brianm said:

Have u ever come across 2 or 3 charters working together in a line coming down the lake with there boards out 150 feet on a side with nothing hooked to them in a pack of boats what a path that is it happened to me last spring I told coast guard they said if I see that again call them and they will take care of them boats doing that

No that's a new one for me, that would suck!

Not trying to start WW III but I would have to say that overall I've dealt with bone headed moves made by weekend warriors way, way more often than charters. The simple fact is that most charter captains have far more skill and experience in both finding fish and boat control than the average joe.

Not trying to start WW III but I would have to say that overall I've dealt with bone headed moves made by weekend warriors way, way more often than charters. The simple fact is that most charter captains have far more skill and experience in both finding fish and boat control than the average joe.

X2

My issue was not with a charter boat, this boat had no name or writing on it, never seen it before in the west end. Charter boats haven't been an issue for me. I don't usually have issues with anyone as I always try to fish where there are no other boats. Sometimes that's not easy though! Weekends can get crazy!

19 minutes ago, Bustersit said:

How far is 500 ft out from shore? I go out of the Genesee river. 250ft is the furthest I have made it. Just curious.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

From Olcott we were in 488 FOW and the distance to harbor was 6.7 miles, per he GPS.

4 minutes ago, garrymny said:

From Olcott we were in 488 FOW and the distance to harbor was 6.7 miles, per he GPS.

500' from the genny is a lot further. i never paid attention to the actual distance but it has to be at least 10 miles

17 hours ago, John E Powell said:

When did problems become issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

It seems like we are tired of the language we used to speak. A woman I work with the other day said she "really likes to office at home". 'Office at home',- what does this mean?

I can understand your how you feel. I started out fishing in a 14ft row boat for trout and salmon, some 38yrs ago. Now i run a 26ft thompson. And yes I am a charter captain. I have had guys cut me off when I was on a charter, running two or four rods while I had out 13 or 14 rods. My question is this who do think has a better chance at making a sharper turn. Look i give way as much as i can, also try to help anyone who is out there fishing. COURTESY GOES A LONG WAY OUT THERE. Good luck tight lines. Captain Mike Bonaffine

I avoid the circus and try to find my own fish like Decoy hound said. Usually this means running farther, maybe a mile or so east or west of the glob of boats. Sometimes however another boat appears to be on a course that will intercept me so I have to make  course corrections, and with the raymarine tiller autopilot it makes it easy now. I always try to remember if they have a 400 copper out, stay way far behind!

If you were heading due North and he was coming from the west to the east..... and by the rules of the road you were the stand on vessel....  The sad part is if he really is a captain he should know this. It seems to me that a lot of boaters out there do not know the rules of a crossing situations( or just out right ignore them) because on this form it is a constant problem. Just sad.

Anyone fishing? or just complaining about others ! The horse is dead already.

Get up! You deadhorse!..whipping you! Comon!...lol!..fish n b itch! Saw a boat named that..

Money doesn't buy happiness,

but it does buy horsepower....

I've never seen a sad person in a boat haulin' A$$...!