Genny 08-02-17

Splashed in at the river at 5:30 today.  Lots of geese & their young at the launch.  Cloud cover to the east & north but clear overhead and to the west.  River temp 74F.

Red sky in the morning, sailor take…

59821ef941b8b_08-02-17A.thumb.JPG.b5be934e5b1e06e8a6082f8ecda25812.JPG

Headed out and to the left again.  WSW wind. Maybe a foot, mostly less.  Set up in 115 FOW and trolled out..  Surface whole trip bounced between 71 & 73F.  Didn’t see anything on the screen till 180FOW then saw small bait pods down 60.  Down temperatures really goofy. 45 one minute then 60 the next.  Crossed a N-S scum line then temps steadier.

Two Cohos around 7:30-8:00, down 68 over 200-210 on R&R watermelon.  Larger one around 8 Lbs. Both clean.  Lost something much bigger down 84 over 210 around 9am.  

Stayed in that area for another hour. Decided to pull the rigger & stacker around 10:00.  Got that all cleared and the weight off then spent the next 20 minutes battling this guy off the other rigger:

59821fee6b02a_08-02-17f.thumb.JPG.cc762d46c031056f87c0eada12c04a92.JPG

Heh, heh, heh….17 Lbs!  84 down over 210.  Purple spook mag, trolling fast.  Took pix then another 15 minutes reviving him & he finally swam away.  Biggest one I’ve ever caught. (Don't ask me why pic came out vertical)

Love having the lake all to myself!   Not another boat around.  Heard some on the radio but they were way out. No way am I taking my 18 ft’r out there. 

Oh well, out by noon.  Little ragboats having another get-together on the river.  Couple kayers paddling around.  (Great day to paddle the river.)  One other trailer in the lot, geese sitting in the shade just relaxing. 

Luck to all.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

SK8 - Thanx.

KotW - On the west end, I'd agree with you however in the central basin, I've seen Big O change from flat to rolling white caps in 20 minutes.  IMO, only a DF would fly solo out to where those charters were.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Its good to hear from you again with your awesome report. Boy, that big Atlantic is something to remember! Some would mount this Atlantic within this size range. At least you took a good picture!

Tight lines!

Anthony

Pete - Hit like a king& ran, then went deep & I couldn't move him.  I thought it was a big laker.  Couple minutes later about 140-150 ft out, he cleared the surface by about 4 feet. After that he stayed just below the surface and i had to circle and chase him.  He did not want to come near the boat. Definitely one that I'll remember for a long time.

Tom B.

(LongLine)