Jigging rods

Jigging rods

Does anyone here do any amount of jigging out on the big ponds for Trout, Salmon, Walleye, etc? I just started getting into open water jigging this year on Erie for Walleye, Drum, and White Bass and I'd like to give it a try for Lakers, Browns, and Steelhead as well on Erie and Ontario. The setup I've been using is a 6'8" medium power, extra fast action rod with a 1/8-3/8oz rating and while it's the perfect rod for smaller Drum and Walleye fishing lures up to 3/4oz, I'm doubtful it'll have the necessary power to turn a large Lake Trout, slow down a feisty Steelhead, or have the backbone to set the hook with a 2 ounce jig on the bottom in deep water. I'm thinking something in the 7'4"-9'0" range with a medium or medium heavy power and fast action would be more ideal for Trout and the rare Salmon. I'll be using jigs and lures from 1/2 to 2 ounces depending on the depth of water and drift speed. I'm willing to spend anywhere from $80-280 for a quality rod. So, do you guys have any recommendations for (preferably spinning) rods that suit the bill? Thanks for the help!

Edited by Char_Master

On 8/2/2017 at 6:58 PM, Char_Master said:

Jigging rods

Does anyone here do any amount of jigging out on the big ponds for Trout, Salmon, Walleye, etc? I just started getting into open water jigging this year on Erie for Walleye, Drum, and White Bass and I'd like to give it a try for Lakers, Browns, and Steelhead as well on Erie and Ontario. The setup I've been using is a 6'8" medium power, extra fast action rod with a 1/8-3/8oz rating and while it's the perfect rod for smaller Drum and Walleye fishing lures up to 3/4oz, I'm doubtful it'll have the necessary power to turn a large Lake Trout, slow down a feisty Steelhead, or have the backbone to set the hook with a 2 ounce jig on the bottom in deep water. I'm thinking something in the 7'4"-9'0" range with a medium or medium heavy power and fast action would be more ideal for Trout and the rare Salmon. I'll be using jigs and lures from 1/2 to 2 ounces depending on the depth of water and drift speed. I'm willing to spend anywhere from $80-280 for a quality rod. So, do you guys have any recommendations for (preferably spinning) rods that suit the bill? Thanks for the help!

You may wish to contact master rod builder John Powell here on LOU

Thanks for the input guys! I've got it narrowed down to 2 rods at this point with the following specs.

1) 9'0" medium power, fast action, 3/8-3/4 ounce lures (spinning rod)

or

2) 7'1" medium-heavy power, fast action, 1/2-2 ounce lures (casting rod)

The second one seems like a perfect jigging rod (listed as a multi-purpose Walleye rod) but I'm leaning towards the first as it's a Steelhead & Salmon float/drift style rod and I could use it for not only jigging but also casting and float fishing. I know long rods generally aren't geared towards jigging but with a fast action, does it really matter? Either way, I think they'll both get the job done.

Hey man, I have done some jigging for lakers on Lake Ontario. All you need is a bass rod, 20 pound braid to a 15 pound Floro leader and those heavy jigs will work great. The 6'8" medium power will get it done

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

5ft 9 inch Quantum rod (medium/heavy action) with a Shimano Bantam Mag reel with 10 lb Power Pro

rod.jpg

reelface.jpg

side1reel.jpg

side2reel.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Hey there Fishermen21. Great pics and absolutely nice in action photo!! Along with the proof is in the pudding photo's!! It can be done.

Thanks for the input guys! I've got it narrowed down to 2 rods at this point with the following specs.

1) 9'0" medium power, fast action, 3/8-3/4 ounce lures (spinning rod)

or

2) 7'1" medium-heavy power, fast action, 1/2-2 ounce lures (casting rod)

The second one seems like a perfect jigging rod (listed as a multi-purpose Walleye rod) but I'm leaning towards the first as it's a Steelhead & Salmon float/drift style rod and I could use it for not only jigging but also casting and float fishing. I know long rods generally aren't geared towards jigging but with a fast action, does it really matter? Either way, I think they'll both get the job done.

It might be tough to get a good hook set in deeper water with a 9' float rod.

Thanks for letting me share.

Thanks for the additional info, all! And those are some great pictures, fisherman21. I may be heading to lake O this weekend so I'm going to see how much my 6'8" can do up there for Browns and Steelhead. When I do go to buy a new rod though, I'm likely going for the 9' spinning rod. I've talked to a couple guys who use long rods for jigging Lakers on Ontario with success and I think it'll be more versatile than a 7' casting rod.