First trip in my own boat.

I have been coming up to the lake every year for a while now and have fished on a mixture of charters and with friends. I have finally picked up a boat of my own an 18' starcraft. I plan to run 4 maybe 5 rods 2 DR, 2 Dipsey, and a lead core down the shoot if I can get one in time. The trip plan is to launch out of Oswego or possibly mexico depending on reports. With the boat being on the smaller side I don't want to get very far from shore until there is some more experience under my belt on the big lake. I don't have a set trip date trying to let the weather decide that for me. Available dates would start next Friday and run thru the end of the month. I guess my question would be should I find fish in 200ft of water or less in that general time line? The reports I am seeing are talking about 400-500 and I am hoping I don't have to go quite that far. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Congratulations on your own boat!! I'm fishing about the same size boat so I know how you feel. I've been catching fish fairly consistently from 260' to 350 fow. Totally doable in your boat. Of course , lake conditions dictate where I go. Good luck!! 

One thing to remember is they are fishing "in" 250-350ft of water, but I would say 100' to 55ft down. So no need to put 300ft of cable on this weekend.. :lol:

Go out of Oswego and fish just outside the scum line to the east its in the 120 to 200 area find the temp break and fish just under it there is fish there to be caught  make sure you start at first light due to early bight . Dont chase the fleet find your own fish you will be better off.

So I think I have everything ready for the first trip. My set up will be 2 DR, 2 dipsey, and a lead core down the middle.

I was able to pick up some lead core at a gander mtn for a good price but I can only fit 5 colors on the reel I had. I figured even if it is only down 30 ft at least it is another lure in the water and I have a better chance at a fish there then in the boat.

I have limited tackle but I think enough to get started. I have a mixture of green,green, and a little more green.

Will start with a spoon on the lead to get the most depth I can. Don't have many spoons but monkey puke will be the choice here. I have a white e-chip with green dots, NBK mountain dew SD, white crush/pearl glow SD with some mixture of green flies on all. For the last rod I haven't decided between a j-plug, spoon or another FF.

For the area I plan to run north a few miles somewhere between 150-200ft then work my way east and see what happens.

Any thoughts or recommendations on the initial game plan would be appreciated.

The marine report for Oswego looks good for Friday and Saturday but the thunderstorms have me a little worried. I will have to wait and make it a last min decision but keeping my fingers crossed.

We have fished Oz the past month and have done  very well. This past tues was the most cable we had out due to the weekend blow and that was 140-150', dipseys out 300-350.  Most boats are out in the 500-600' range but we picked up kings in 140' trolling in, temp was still as deep there as any other place. White/green dot paddle with glow hammer fly and chrome/green dot spinny with mirage fly have been our best. Good luck to you. 

Been studying the lake maps as well. I am in the same boat but with a smaller boat 16'. One thing to remember and I've been told it from many charterboat captain's, deep water is closer when you go out of Oswego. If you start heading over toward Mexico going west to Sodus Bay you will have to go out much further to get in deep water. Still waiting for mother nature to cooperate so I can make my first trip also. Best of luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Well made it out Friday and Saturday. Got one small brown on Fri out of Oswego. We ran between 150 and 350 while getting used to the boat and the gear. Had a bunch of problems that day but mostly small stuff that was overlooked before hand. Went out of pine grove on Sat ran out to 150ft had a friend with another boat that day so a little more confident making the longer run. No fish on Saturday only had one release before we were tired of getting knocked around in the waves. Good learning experience. Figured out a lot of things that I shouldn't be doing, and one or two things that I should. Will give it another try here soon. Thanks again for the advice.