Fishing out of a kayak

weave

Fishing out of a kayak

Not sure where to put this.  Figured it would get the most looks here.

I'm in the market for a fishing kayak and I am reaching out to the other kayak anglers on here to get some feedback, advice, and their experiences.

Intend to use it mostly in the western Finger Lakes for walleyes and panfish, Lake Alice for panfish, I Bay for perch in the Fall is a good possibility, Erie canal fishing trips, tribs for browns in the Fall.  Depending on how comfortable I get with it, near shore trolling for browns in the big lake on calm days is a wish as well.  It will be rigged with a depthfinder.  About 90% chance I'll get a trolling motor for walleyes on Silver/Conesus/Honeoye.

I'm a heavy guy, about 240lbs.  It's not an athletic build, lol.  I know that is a consideration.  And right now I'm probably weighting stability above most everything else in my decision.  I'm not one of those guys that brings all the gear he owns so I don't need tons of storage.  And I don't expect to bring more than 2-3 rods on a trip. My trips won't be 5 mile trips unless I'm trolling, and the electric motor will handle that.  I don't fish in questionable conditions.  I'll want to stand up and stretch my back now and again, but standing while fishing isn't a main priority.  I'm not looking for a pedal boat.  I want to paddle.

I owned a 16' aluminum canoe for a long time that I fished out of.  Got rid of it 15 years ago because I didn't want to move it when we bought a new house.  I have paddled kayaks in the past, but, like the canoe it was 15 years in the past.  I didn't like the way the canoe handled solo, and I sometimes got frustrated with it in the wind.

Spent a good bit of the afternoon at Oak Orchard Canoe yesterday and got some good information there.  Got to eyeball and get a feel for a bunch of boats.  I've got some favorites in mind.  the Jackson yaks are damned nice, Coosa HD in particular, but the Mayfly looks like a terrific platform as well even though it was designed primarily to be a fly fishing boat.  Nu Canoe Frontier 12 is on my short list.  I think I'm talked out of the Pelican Catch 120, but I'm open to being talked back into it.

Long-ish post but I figured I'd try to answer most of what would get asked right upfront.  Hoping to hear some pros and cons of the models the rest of you are fishing out of.  And maybe some thoughts on things that aren't usually considered.

thanks in advance.

Edited by weave

If you're looking to primarily troll, i would suggest you look at Hobie yaks with the mirage peddle drive. It's only good for forward propulsion unless you physically remove and reinsert the unit. They just came out with an updated version this year that has reverse mode, (engaged by pulling a cable) but I'm seeing on different forums there's some issues with them.

I've got a few yaks, and use a Hobie Outback for trolling the Finger Lakes. In the right weather I've had it a few miles off shore of Lake O for spring browns and fall salmon.

The Hobie pro anglers are wider and heaver (more stability) and are good canidates for electric trolling motors. If you go wirh something that big, you might consider a trailer for it.

I usually bring along 2 trolling rods and run them both. I also grab a jigging or spinning rod depending on conditions / mood.

In my opinion, the lack of storage isn't that big of a deal, you can still bring alot of gear along. I've got plano 3600 size boxes set-up for different kinds of fishing, and I bring aboard only the ones I need for that trip to save space.

Electronics are pretty easy, most manufactures are including provisions for mounting transducers, batteries and fish finders, as well as having some type of cable management system to keep things looking neat and clean.

No matter what you deceide on, you're definatly doing the right thing by testing riding different models. Lots of different opinions about sit-in versus sit-on-top, I've got both types and can see advantages and disadvantages to both depending on how you're using them.

Other questions, let me know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Not going to primarily troll, but do plan on an electric trolling motor so I have the option.  It will mostly be a panfishing rig.  Trolling for eyes or maybe browns is a secondary item.

I guess I don't see the value in a pedal drive if I'll have the electric option as well.  Correct me if I am wrong here.......

And I will definitely be trailering whatever I get.  I'm not putting a 80+lb rig on my Grand Cherokee roof solo.

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 3:31 PM, Angler said:

Responding to your Grand Cherokee.  I use a Yakima Rack on top of a Dodge Journey and put the Frontier 12, 80 plus pounds up lone no problem.  The rack has a telescopic slide rod. google it.  Works great.

When I was shopping for a vehicle last time, I stopped looking at Jeeps when I was told that they don't recommend putting any kind of boat on the roof.    I went with a GMC puickup, then put on a Jerico cap with a Yakima system.

Take a look at a Native watercraft kayak, a friend has one and it is quite a little boat!,

Edited by Lucky13

When I was shopping for a vehicle last time, I stopped looking at Jeeps when I was told that they don't recommend putting any kind of boat on the roof.    I went with a GMC puickup, then put on a Jerico cap with a Yakima system.

Take a look at a Native watercraft kayak, a friend has one and it is quite a little boat!,

Did the dealer tell you that? Did they say why?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I can't remember but I think it was a wrenchy friend who works for a dealer.  He said Jeep says their roofs are not braced right for carriers, but that would make me worry about rollover, as that has to be a lot more stress than a boat.  I just stopped looking at them as I had also been told they have a lot of electrical problems, maybe my least favorite thing to have to deal with in a car.

• 3 weeks later...