Reviving old planer board line

I've got a pair of big jon planer board reels, likely with the original line on them. the releases don't slide worth a darn down the line. I was trying to think of something I could put on the line to make it slick so they'll slide. I thought of armor all, tire shine, silicon spray, olive oil. just curious if anyone has had any success with any of those things or with anything else. thanks..

Edited by dt5150

5 minutes ago, GAMBLER said:

Pull it off and get 200lb test Power Pro.  Releases fly down it!

do this  also if you use releases on shower curtian clips you can add a small egg sinker and the weight will help them slide

I've got a pair of big jon planer board reels, likely with the original line on them. the releases don't slide worth a darn down the line. I was trying to think of something I could put on the line to make it slick so they'll slide. I thought of armor all, tire shine, silicon spray, olive oil. just curious if anyone has had any success with any of those things or with anything else. thanks..

What if you soaked the line in a bucket of water and fabric softener? IDK. Just a thought.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

well i got to test the new line out yesterday. it worked better, definitely an improvement, but they still don't slide down as well as i would like. i have to give it slack, and bounce the rod/line to get it to go down. i think the shower curtain rings might be part of the problem too. they're about 7 or 8 years old and look to have some kind of corrosion/aging to them which does have a bit of a texture to it. i'm going to try a scotch bright pad and see if i can clean them up some, smooth them out a little. i wish i could find some type of hard plastic that i could line the inside of the rings with. that would slide really well i would think.

i also had the idea of reversing the original big jon line.. now that it's all be removed, i could wind it back on there in reverse, putting the weathered section on the reel.

tried buffing them up with a scotch bright pad, didn't make a difference. i haven't sprayed anything yet. i think i might put the big jon line back on one of the reels, in reverse so the old weathered end is on the spool, and see how it compares to the braid.

• 1 month later...

I had the same issues, I bought at cabelas's they had 1/4oz weights with a brass loop for attaching to line I bought a handful of them and slid them on my Laurvick releases and bingo they sail out towards the boards!!

thanks guys. i've tried all the suggestions above. i did change the line on one reel back to planer board line. i had some that was pretty new that i had taken off of a broken riviera reel. it slides slightly better on that vs the braid on the other reel. i also added new shower curtain clips too. but, i think i figured out what the issue is.. on my old boat, the boards used to ride much further to the back creating less drag on the releases sliding down the line. now, new boat, new boards (otter boats), and they ride totally different. they now stay pretty much parallel with the boat, forward of the transom. i believe, at this angle, the release encounters more resistance when sliding down the line since it's angled rearward to a lesser degree. as is now, it's perfectly usable. improved with the new line(s) and shower curtain clips. it's just not as slick sliding as the old setup.