How to fix a bad kink in my wire dipsy rod?

I have noticed that approximately 300 feet or so into my 1000 foot spool of wire I have a bad spot.  I would like to cut out the bad spot and re-terminate the two pieces of wire back together.  Any suggestion how to do this?  I was thinking about using the wire knot with a #10 spro swivel in between the two pieces? Opinions?? Thank you for your time.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fishbowl836 said:

I have noticed that approximately 300 feet or so into my 1000 foot spool of wire I have a bad spot.  I would like to cut out the bad spot and re-terminate the two pieces of wire back together.  Any suggestion how to do this?  I was thinking about using the wire knot with a #10 spro swivel in between the two pieces? Opinions?? Thank you for your time.

Problem is that joint will be right in the main area of use for when you set it and the fish takes off.  If it were me I'd be more likely to toss the 300 and go with 700 or if nervous add some powerpro or even mono backing or just replace the whole thing.   I've never had a fish take me to 700 so I'd probably just roll with the 700 until I  had to cut more off, then replace

Edited by Fat Trout

Fat Trout, yes that was on my mind as well.  This spot seem to be getting worse and sooner or later it is going to get me. I currently only fish on the fingers therefore I have been able to get away with it.  I am hoping to try the big lake for the first time sometime next week or the week after and that is why I need to fix it now.  I also was thinking about fixing it the way I said and then flipping the line so the 300 spot was further inside if that makes sense.   

• Like 1

Reverse the wire on the reel. Make   it so the bad spot is at 700ft on your counter. To do this you can wind line off the reel on to another line counter reel or you can unspool reel by walking it off. I've done this by going to a local park and stabbing a screw driver in the ground. Connect to screwdriver and walk all the wire off the reel. Its alittle work but why waste all that expensive wire !?!  

7 minutes ago, Fishbowl836 said:

Fat Trout, yes that was on my mind as well.  This spot seem to be getting worse and sooner or later it is going to get me. I currently only fish on the fingers therefore I have been able to get away with it.  I am hoping to try the big lake for the first time sometime next week or the week after and that is why I need to fix it now.  I also was thinking about fixing it the way I said and then flipping the line so the 300 spot was further inside if that makes sense.   

flip it.  A real pain in the butt, but a  good idea.

1 hour ago, Fishbowl836 said:

i see your home port is on cayuga . i would cut off the bad 300 feet and set up a dipsy rod for cayuga .700 ft of wire on cayuga lake is enough wire . for Ontario i would replace it , as said above cheaper than lost gear if broke off 

7 hours ago, fisherdude said:

i see your home port is on cayuga . i would cut off the bad 300 feet and set up a dipsy rod for cayuga .700 ft of wire on cayuga lake is enough wire . for Ontario i would replace it , as said above cheaper than lost gear if broke off 

Ditto on this 700 ft is plenty for the Fingers as you seldom let out more than 400 ft and that still leaves you the length of a football field on the spool. For Lake O because of the king potential you'd want  new wire at 1,000 ft. If only on the Fingers another option (but less sound) would be to cut out the bad section and rejoin the two remaining sections with a small SPRO heavy swivel and use crimps on both ends of the swivel. This would allow you to keep the extra 300 ft. as a (backup) just in case you got hung up on bottom or something and needed the extra 300 ft but it would still probably be the potentially weakest part of your setup and you would have to make sure the swivel would safely clear the line guide ofthe reel and the eylets of the rod.

Edited by Sk8man

• 3 weeks later...

Attach about 30' of braided line to the end of some new wire.  That way the wire is completely wound up on the reel all the time and does not allow for kinking the wire when attaching divers and such.  I am on the second year of using the same wire on both diver reels and haven't had a kink yet of any kind.  This tip was given to me by the late Charter Capt. Larry Basset of Sea Dog Charters.  

I spool 300 feet of 50# Power pro, then fill the reel with wire, normally it takes (daiwa saltist 35 or 40 ish reel) 400 to {a bunch of}  yards. You often have to cut off some wire if your using it hard, no big deal cut it and toss it keep going till the day you let out your wire and dont have enough then buy some more and start over but you dont have to  replace the power pro. When you get low on wire and a fish takes it your not going to get spooled because of the power pro that is on there.