10 Color down the center

10 Color down the center

Thinking about adding a 10 color setup and running it down the center. I run a smaller boat (18ft) and usually run riggers straight off the back, will I have any issues running the 10 color? Guessing I need to keep my riggers below the LC to avoid tangles? with 100yds of LC out can I pretty much run whatever I want on it and not worry?

I have a 19 foot boat. I run a downrigger on each corner, a dispey rod on each side, and a 10 color leadcore. I run mine off a side planer board usually, but I have ran it down the center with no problem. Catch mostly steelhead and cohos on it, and it is one of my best producers.When I am tired or lazy, I don't put it out. Lots of line to reel in.

It can help to run the riggers with shorter leads and deeper but a wild king on a rigger can change everything too and clearing the leadcore quickly may be advisable. ( I looked for a pic I have of my 10 color rolled up in a ball on the bottom of the boat for reference but couldn't find itt:lol:

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

I would put lead on boards... To many times I have had fish run across the chute and get the lead cores. Or I have ran LC on long rods off my side and dipsey straight down. Now I have down riggers so dipsey off the sides and DR down the chute. One goes off the side by my kicker.

Eventually I will be adding Amish Outfitter boards and planer mast for cores. Never can get anyone to ride with me so its a one man show usually. Might add I only fish the Finger Lakes. Mastering my gear before learning the big pond

Sent from my VS425PP using Lake Ontario United mobile app

One thing u can do to avoid rigger bites getting tangled with the leadcore down the center is to add a pike ball to leadcore.  The pike ball will take the leadcore further back from the boat to avoid tangles. I learned this tip from Tim Bromund at LOTSA. Maybe he can chime in with better details

One thing u can do to avoid rigger bites getting tangled with the leadcore down the center is to add a pike ball to leadcore.  The pike ball will take the leadcore further back from the boat to avoid tangles. I learned this tip from Tim Bromund at LOTSA. Maybe he can chime in with better details

Yup, or one of those church stern planners. They work great.

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

Basically you can figure  about 22 ft per 100 ft out on the usual copper and roughly 5 ft per color for the leadcore so as an estimate 50 ft for the 10 color and 66 for a 300 copper. Trolling speed, lure, current  etc. affect the actual depth. You can get increased depth by adding clip on weights to either option. Another option would be to run a shorter section of leadcore off one of the downriggers and control depth that way but still have the possible "attracting" factor of the leadcore itself whipping through the water. Iusually run it off inline boards so it is out of the way and then is on top of the other stuff vertically as well if something hits it

Edited by Sk8man

Haven't heard anyone weigh in on the issue of fleas on the lead core yet.  I love running lead but never really try it in the summer on the big O when fleas are fouling my 30lb mono.  Has anyone used it successfully when the fleas are in?

Well now you guys got my 2nd guessing what I want to do lol. I have a 200 and 300 copper that I had planned to run on planers and a 10 color that I haven't spooled up yet. Debating on spooling up a 7 or 8 color instead for planers and running the 300 down the center. I just want to avoid any issues with tangles and my riggers. 

Edited by FishingFool34

Sometimes lead will outfish copper and vice versa but unless I was sure the core was the better choice I'd run the short copper. Another thing: Unless you got a bunch of guys fishing I'd run that junk line out on a big board if possible or a walleye board if not. If you are bound and determined to run it down the chute spool it onto an Okuma 55 LS (super high speed ) so you can clear the middle of the stern quick if you get a big,hot king tearing around the back of the boat, it's bad enough dodging the wires without another thing that cuts mono in the middle too.