Harbor fish cleaning

Wow that's messed up....

If the cleaning station is anything like Wright's I don't know why he would do that. The one at Wright's is fantastic.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Olcott's station is awesome. Even if it was out of order the boat was set up to clean on the water and the catch could easily have been cleaned on the lake and the carcasses disposed of in accordance with DEC regs.
It's a despicable display of laziness.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Just watched a charter boat cleaning fish on the back of the boat in olcott HARBOR and dumping the carcasses into the harbor!!! A whole 50 yards from the fish cleaning station!! Absolutely unacceptable, unprofessional AND illegal!!

Did you talk to the captain and ask him why?

We fillet em as we fish into Ziplock bags (skin on). Can get away with a much smaller cooler which we keep cold with reusable ice packs piled into a Walmart plastic bag -no water to deal with.

The carcasses are food for the tiny critters at the bottom of the food chain. Imagine what happens if all the fish were removed from the lake if that would be possible. Salmon streams in Alaska require the carcasses to be placed back in the stream rather than landfill them. Millions of salmon spawn, die and become food for their offspring.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

What is the concern with putting the carcasses back in the water and how does the 100' or more from shore alleviate that? Just curious, I never have heard the reasoning behind it.

They don't want carcasses in enclosed harbors where they have nowhere to go... you could very easily get a very stinky, nasty harbor- especially in one as small as olcoyt

Cleaning fish off shore may subject you to a citation for und

Sent from my LG-H740 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Your comment only applies to lake trout and Atlantic salmon as u would need the fish intact so length can be determined. Otherwise you can fillet the other species as long as skin remains on the fillet

The carcasses are food for the tiny critters at the bottom of the food chain. Imagine what happens if all the fish were removed from the lake if that would be possible. Salmon streams in Alaska require the carcasses to be placed back in the stream rather than landfill them. Millions of salmon spawn, die and become food for their offspring.

Are you arguing that it's a good idea to dispose of carcasses anywhere in the lake even if it's 100' of shore?

On 8/8/2017 at 6:51 PM, stoneam2006 said:

Wow that's messed up....

If the cleaning station is anything like Wright's I don't know why he would do that. The one at Wright's is fantastic.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Yeah....When it's open...Which doesn't appear to be too often these days.

3 minutes ago, rdebadts said:

Just put the guts in a bucket, and dump in your garden or the lake next time you go out...

Good point.  In the spring I see a lot of charters dumping buckets in the Tuscarora park fish dumpster.  Guessing they clean their fish at Wilson Boatyard cleaning station?

When I hear people barking about guts being dumped in the lake, I often wonder how it(dumping guts) differs from fish that die naturally, whether it be from age, or from disease, water temps, time of year, etc. Dumping guts too close to shore is not cool, but I am fairly certain there is a set distance from shore that makes it legal. If there is a rule against it, I would love to know about it for future reference.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You should send your info to the guy that runs olcott marina there.  Believe his name is Scott Schfler.  I can't believe there were 5 mph south winds out there today but people would rather debate on how far off shore Salmon guts should be dumped.  No offense Paul but you do understand every mature king we catch in a season out there dies. Yes EVERY mature dies after fighting and taking por*o shots with it for twitter pages.  That is what happens when a fish goes from 40 degree water to a 90 degree boat deck.  Is that charter who is dumping guts into that newfane marina really hurting the place. Have you guys opened your eyes to what that marina looks like.  It should be located in downtown buffalo, what an eyesore.  Come to Wilson if you guys really don't want to put up with such a minor problem.

13 hours ago, shorelunch said:

You should send your info to the guy that runs olcott marina there.  Believe his name is Scott Schfler.  I can't believe there were 5 mph south winds out there today but people would rather debate on how far off shore Salmon guts should be dumped.  No offense Paul but you do understand every mature king we catch in a season out there dies. Yes EVERY mature dies after fighting and taking por*o shots with it for twitter pages.  That is what happens when a fish goes from 40 degree water to a 90 degree boat deck.  Is that charter who is dumping guts into that newfane marina really hurting the place. Have you guys opened your eyes to what that marina looks like.  It should be located in downtown buffalo, what an eyesore.  Come to Wilson if you guys really don't want to put up with such a minor problem.

i have seen guys in wilson harbor dump guts too

I have watched crayfish chow down on dead fish. This is natures way so do not be offended, just accept it as natural. One thing is infinite, everything living dies.