Harbor fish cleaning

I clean my fish at home. Freeze the carcasses until trash day. But I have read where the fish carcasses are good for the water, saw a Salmon documentary on TV about returning the carcasses to the water. But, as far as the Olcott Marina....if it weren't for the Olcott Marina, I would not have even been able to fish lake ontario this year. They are the only ones with floating docks, and they immediately built a ramp to get to them. Friendly helpful staff too. Good parking. Hot coffee ready at 0600. Nice cleaning station. Nice photo board. CLEAN bathrooms that are OPEN.  THANK YOU OLCOTT MARINA! I wish others had the gumption (or fore site when they were installed)  to put in floating docks when they knew the lake would not recede all summer.  i checked out the wilson dock at the park months ago. NO GO.

Yeah, olcott did a really nice job this year. I was impressed. The only reason anyone cares if you clean fish is because olcott is a TINY harbor that could get very stinky very very easily if everyone threw their fish in the harbor. It's a courtesy thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

13 hours ago, shorelunch said:
You should send your info to the guy that runs olcott marina there.  Believe his name is Scott Schfler.  I can't believe there were 5 mph south winds out there today but people would rather debate on how far off shore Salmon guts should be dumped.  No offense Paul but you do understand every mature king we catch in a season out there dies. Yes EVERY mature dies after fighting and taking por*o shots with it for twitter pages.  That is what happens when a fish goes from 40 degree water to a 90 degree boat deck.  Is that charter who is dumping guts into that newfane marina really hurting the place. Have you guys opened your eyes to what that marina looks like.  It should be located in downtown buffalo, what an eyesore.  Come to Wilson if you guys really don't want to put up with such a minor problem.

Sounds like you got some personal grudge- what is a s&$t hole? The building you pay in? The bathrooms? Fish cleaning station? Parking lot?They stepped up big time this year and should be commended. I usually launch out of Wilson because it's closer but that place can be a s$&t show. What is so hard to comprehend that one side is launch and one side is load. No big deal in the AM but come afternoon it's a free for all- no one working there controls what's goes on after noon.If they don't install floating docks before next season it will be next to useless again next season

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Olcott marina is a sh**hole in general Hadley there had had docks destroyed for years. Across the river is not safe with the bar crowds and losing gear off boats. Have never been happier then switching to Wilson. I never have to worry about things missing, shore power and water for everyone, restaurant, gas, pool, can go on and on. Scott scheffler is incompetent when it comes to renewing docks year to year.  Never had issues 10 years ago until they hired him. He's too busy yelling at kids for feeding birds then do a very simple job.  People should at least look into Wilson boathouse if they need a slip. Way, way, way more bang for your buck, with in my opinion, better fishing than olcott. Has anyone noticed what has happened to the olcott imprint of fish??? It is non existent. That river use to be a force for kings and now it's a joke during fall.

You should send your info to the guy that runs olcott marina there.  Believe his name is Scott Schfler.  I can't believe there were 5 mph south winds out there today but people would rather debate on how far off shore Salmon guts should be dumped.  No offense Paul but you do understand every mature king we catch in a season out there dies. Yes EVERY mature dies after fighting and taking por*o shots with it for twitter pages.  That is what happens when a fish goes from 40 degree water to a 90 degree boat deck.  Is that charter who is dumping guts into that newfane marina really hurting the place. Have you guys opened your eyes to what that marina looks like.  It should be located in downtown buffalo, what an eyesore.  Come to Wilson if you guys really don't want to put up with such a minor problem.

Really??? Mature kings die?? Every year???
Smh

Olcott marina is hardly an "eyesore". Hedleys is a dump. Get off your high horse and look at the DEC regulations regarding the disposal of fish carcasses. That is what this post was about. The charter in question was violating DEC regulations by dumping carcasses in a marina within 100' of shore.

Btw my boat is in Wilson every May and in Point Breeze the rest of the year. I happened to see the incident in question as I had wings with my son at the Time Out.

This topic was a joke.  Seems like you just wanted to call out another charter.  You should have left that p.o.s rundown bar and had a word with him if it upset you so bad.  If you read the post correct Paul mature kings die every SUMMER. Every one that is picked up trolling dies. 20 minute fight, slapped on the hot deck, and 600 twitter pics taken for your account.  Then the fish is released only to wash to shore. These kings do not revive out there.  They all die after being fought.  

This topic was a joke.  Seems like you just wanted to call out another charter.  You should have left that p.o.s rundown bar and had a word with him if it upset you so bad.  If you read the post correct Paul mature kings die every SUMMER. Every one that is picked up trolling dies. 20 minute fight, slapped on the hot deck, and 600 twitter pics taken for your account.  Then the fish is released only to wash to shore. These kings do not revive out there.  They all die after being fought.  

It was a legitimate topic with a legitimate issue that was witnessed firsthand. If I wanted to "call out" a charter I would have named them.
It wasn't about that, or releasing fish or what a "dump" olcott is or anything else you tried to make it. Please get over yourself and stay in Wilson.
Btw---I'll eat wings wherever I feel like it and don't need your lectures telling me what I should do now go away.

You can bad mouth Olcott all you want, but in the Ohio guys eyes it's the best and cleanest launch on the south shore of Lake O! At least a dozen Ohio boats using it this weekend and not one complaint! Still the greatest fishery! That's all I have to say!

Hey shorelunch, you need some help there fella.  I got Captain Paul's point from the get-go.  He's merely making an observation as to something that he disagrees with and does not like.    That's similar to what you've done !

The difference is you've now slandered multiple businesses basically unprovoked.

Just what everyone needs in light of the current financial state of the region.

Maybe you should drag your grumpy butt down to the businesses in question and tell them yourselves what you think of them instead of dragging them through the mud here.

BTW - I've seen COUNTLESS kings caught, handled carefully, REVIVED and released back into the lake,  All spring and early summer long.

We catch them with hook marks on them all of the time.

Seems like you are describing your own bush-league way of handling them and projecting on others.....

Edited by bigted

10 hours ago, bigted said:

Hey shorelunch, you need some help there fella.  I got Captain Paul's point from the get-go.  He's merely making an observation as to something that he disagrees with and does not like.    That's similar to what you've done !

The difference is you've now slandered multiple businesses basically unprovoked.

Just what everyone needs in light of the current financial state of the region.

Maybe you should drag your grumpy butt down to the businesses in question and tell them yourselves what you think of them instead of dragging them through the mud here.

BTW - I've seen COUNTLESS kings caught, handled carefully, REVIVED and released back into the lake,  All spring and early summer long.

We catch them with hook marks on them all of the time.

Seems like you are describing your own bush-league way of handling them and projecting on others.....

Very well said! I think Scott and the whole crew that keep the Olcott launch running is doing a fantastic job! Ok now that's all I have to say.

If a fish, quaga mussel or a seagull dies in the lake or stream naturally, it is natures way. If a lazy fisherman is disposing of fish remains next to your home, dock or beach, that is morally wrong and inconsiderate. 

keep reviving mature kings in the summer. They all die reguardless. Of course the smaller fish live to fight another day, but the mature salmon die all summer long. Some day you will learn that.  Olcott had been one of the most heavily thefted marinas on the south shore.  10 years of docking there and problems with gear getting stolen from not just 4 or 5 boats, but countless. Drunks across the river, dock locks that never stay locked. 5 years ago a guy next to me was told strangers took his boat out for a fishing adventure and brought it back 8 hours later. The guy was shocked, dumbfounded. It's things like that why I feel tossing guts in the water is the least of that marinas worries right now. The only reason the marina is so widely used is because of the glory days when eighteen mile creek use to get runs of 150,000 salmon. Times have changed, the river is a ghost town with staging kings it is NOT even a decent river in today's standards, the once #1 fishing destination of ny is now what #20? Stop worrying about a quart of guts in the water and start volunteering to help imprint something over there to swim in the fall.

I would have to disagree about the matures dying from catch and release.  The Canadians have presented at the State of the Lake their tagging program where they go out with fisherman who catch the fish, they do a number of measurements and place a tag on the fish.  Most of these fishes tags are recovered and usually a pretty good distance away from the catch area.  And while not all fish were mature some were.  So that would lead me to believe they recovered and do recover when handled and released correctly.

22 hours ago, shorelunch said:

"......keep reviving mature kings in the summer. They all die reguardless. Of course the smaller fish live to fight another day, but the mature salmon die all summer long. Some day you will learn that........"

Do tell us more almighty marine biologist.  We want to learn now.  Not "someday". I could have sworn those bright silver twenty+ pounders we sent back into the water were completely fine last trip.

Documented facts would be most greatly appreciated.

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 10:01 PM, jimski2 said:

The carcasses are food for the tiny critters at the bottom of the food chain. Imagine what happens if all the fish were removed from the lake if that would be possible. Salmon streams in Alaska require the carcasses to be placed back in the stream rather than landfill them. Millions of salmon spawn, die and become food for their offspring.

West coast streams are nutrient poor, and without the carcasses, there would be nothing to feed the invertebrates the young salmon depend on, so the carcasses need to go back.  In New York, the nearshore is overly nutrient rich, and basically only the streams draining the tug hill are nutrient poor.  We don't need the carcasses so much.  If you lived down current and had all that offal washing up on your beach, along with the algae and dead gobies and other c**p, you would probably like to see a 1 mile offshore restriction for fish cleaning.

1 minute ago, Lucky13 said:

West coast streams are nutrient poor, and without the carcasses, there would be nothing to feed the invertebrates the young salmon depend on, so the carcasses need to go back.  In New York, the nearshore is overly nutrient rich, and basically only the streams draining the tug hill are nutrient poor.  We don't need the carcasses so much.  If you lived down current and had all that offal washing up on your beach, along with the algae and dead gobies and other c**p, you would probably like to see a 1 mile offshore restriction for fish cleaning.

Finally some science to back a claim!!

Thanks for sharing this very valuable information

Cheers,

Chris

11 minutes ago, momay4000 said:

Finally some science to back a claim!!

Thanks for sharing this very valuable information

Cheers,

Chris

It should also be remembered that large numbers of our salmon do return to the rivers as carrion, except where "harvest" is very successful.  You need nose plugs to walk around Altmar once the back channel in the Lower Fly zone fills up with deads!

Keep reviving gentlemen. The matures are dead. By the way fishing is as good as ever right now on the western end when everyone is off this topic. Every mature fish has died today after 5-15 minute fights. Don't agree with me but think about it at least next time that mature floats past your wires and 100 yards behind the boat....mr marine biologist.