Lake MI, slob

Years ago I had a tour down on the working floor at Altmar during the time the egg collection process was underway. After watching for a few minutes it was pretty clear the workers were not selecting the larger females. Instead, smaller fish were harvested. When I asked the worker about why they weren't collecting from the biggest fish he replied something similar to "they're too large/heavy and more difficult to handle.

I don't know if that is still the habit of the workers at the hatchery. I hope not, but I suspect it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

That is really interesting info. about the hatchery selecting the smaller fish. My neighbor swears that he used to catch many Lake Ontario kings in the 40lb category and I keep telling him he is mistaken. In my 20 years fishing Lake O I have not heard of or seen anything close to the 40lb mark. They are a blast at 30lbs - can't imagine fighting them 10 plus lbs heavier!!! 

6 hours ago, John E Powell said:

Years ago I had a tour down on the working floor at Altmar during the time the egg collection process was underway. After watching for a few minutes it was pretty clear the workers were not selecting the larger females. Instead, smaller fish were harvested. When I asked the worker about why they weren't collecting from the biggest fish he replied something similar to "they're too large/heavy and more difficult to handle.

I don't know if that is still the habit of the workers at the hatchery. I hope not, but I suspect it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

you could be onto something here as small fish create small fish and big fish create big fish on average, its in there genetics. I know in Alaska they want people to take the jacks and to not touch the big kings so that there genes can be based on.