Pinn, spinning or casting for steelhead?

I'm in the market to upgrade my current float setup for steelhead in the streams, not sure what to look for I've been using a cheaper low pro baitcast with a 12 ft rod, it doesn't seem to spool off line like I would like... think I'm going to end up getting a centerpinn but what does everyone else use???

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

What size creeks and streams do you plan on fishing ? How long are the holes you plan on fishing ?i like to use a spin rod in super small streams or streams with super short runs , anything bigger I love my center pin for .... just curious what kind of rod do you use for your bait caster ? Looking to try one out floating for kings .... hopefully a good drag and mechanical advantage will help in that situation

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

What size creeks and streams do you plan on fishing ? How long are the holes you plan on fishing ?i like to use a spin rod in super small streams or streams with super short runs , anything bigger I love my center pin for .... just curious what kind of rod do you use for your bait caster ? Looking to try one out floating for kings .... hopefully a good drag and mechanical advantage will help in that situation

I fish putneyville and oak orchard mainly, just really got into steelhead last year so I was actually using a 12 ft bass pro crappie Rod "med light".... it seemed to function pretty good but I'd like a better setup

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I'm live just outside of Buffalo but fish the oak quite often, if you have access to a pin I would at least toy around with it and see how it feels in your hands , I love mine especially fishing the Catt and the lower niagara

• 3 weeks later...

center pins are great, I love mine, in fact its about all ill use for steelhead river fishing. but you have to be on top of your game. they don't have a drag and there not idiot proof. I would suggest a really long rod, mine is 11.5 foot. I also use only 8Lb. line and 6 Lb. tippet. you really have to fight the fish well, not a lot of room for error. if the water is stained ill go up to 10 Lb line but usually no larger than that as the fish can see the line. if its super clear ill go to 4 Lb tippet.

Hard to beat a pin when you're fishing current. Plus it's fun. There's a learning curve to casting though, take the time to learn a Wallis cast properly otherwise you will battle line twist issues from side casting.

Sometimes in slower current situations I really do prefer a spinning reel though. I'll still use a 13' float rod for it.