Boat came so close.

Last evening I was south of long point. I'd say 1/2 mile. I was about 350 yds from shore. I could hear a boat coming and looked over towards the point. A really large boat forest green was heading down the lake around the point. Out about 300 yards farther than me at least 600 yds from shore.

I was pointing east down riggers out. 1.8 mph.

He changed course and aimed at me. I didn't think any thing of it. But next thing he is 150 yds away coming straight at me!

I turned south fast and when he is 30 yds away he slows and nearly stops staring at me? His wake was huge! He's easy to spot as the boat is large enough to carry a zodiac on it! He cuts his engine and continues to stare? His prop wash was so great it actually turned my boat sideways.

At this point I'm flabbergasted as to why with 3.5 miles of Lake behind me. He chose to drive between shore 350 yds away and 30 yds from me?

If you see this guy watch out, that was incredibly dangerous, had my grandkids been with me there would have been a problem. If you know this guy tell him to use caution his seamen ship sucks. Next time I'm calling the sheriff and video it. I was so stunned I didn't think to take a picture till he was 300 yds south down lake .

Large inboard green, cream hard top with a gray zodiac.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I feel your pain!  What you are describing happens way too often.  It's so simple really...NEVER approach another boat on plane by aiming right at it.  Always show the other boat a little courtesy and show them you see them.  I have lots of friends and acquaintances that will come pay me a visit on the water and several I didn't recognize have had me worried on their approach.  He may have thought he knew you....still not how it's done if you arent an idiot.  We need mandatory boater education for everyone.

I've been cut off on Conesus a few times. Guy in a pontoon boat ran over my planer board and took all my 30lb braid in his prop! It's so frustrating dealing with dumb asses on the water!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

The water is FULL of lunatics, no matter where you go.. i had something similar happen a few years back, several miles out in the open ocean.. I was in my 18 footer  fishing in a choppy sea, and a MORON in a gigantic yacht thought it would be great fun to bear down on me at about 40 knots no other boats for miles, and  make a hard turn a few yards from our stern leaving us sideways with  green water coming over the stern  in a giant  6 foot high wake. Only by a miracle  from God did we even survive it.. Its an older early 70's starcraft with no level floatation.. Hope that person had a good laugh.. he nearly killed us...

So yeah, the water is fill of sub moron "boaters" these days, no matter where you go.. thankfully its the months between Memorial and Labor days that these idiots are most prevalent,,  I have an unrestricted CC permit, and sadly, I feel the need to carry out on the water and  at the ramps these days for my own safety.. I am getting older, slower and am no longer physically capable of running or defending myself with my fists...  The water or even the boat  ramps seems to so often bring out the worst in   people that  most likely have issues to begin with..

Sad part is,  this dangerous behavior is  often carried out by  people with large, powerful ,expensive boats, that must be  a success in life to be able to afford  the boats they run.. Never could understand that part of the equation.. Usually people with money have more intellect...... right???....... bob

Edited by bulletbob

The water is FULL of lunatics, no matter where you go.. i had something similar happen a few years back, several miles out in the open ocean.. I was in my 18 footer  fishing in a choppy sea, and a MORON in a gigantic yacht thought it would be great fun to bear down on me at about 40 knots no other boats for miles, and  make a hard turn a few yards from our stern leaving us sideways with  green water coming over the stern  in a giant  6 foot high wake. Only by a miracle  from God did we even survive it.. Its an older early 70's starcraft with no level floatation.. Hope that person had a good laugh.. he nearly killed us...

So yeah, the water is fill of sub moron "boaters" these days, no matter where you go.. thankfully its the months between Memorial and Labor days that these idiots are most prevalent,,  I have an unrestricted CC permit, and sadly, I feel the need to carry out on the water and  at the ramps these days for my own safety.. I am getting older, slower and am no longer physically capable of running or defending myself with my fists...  The water or even the boat  ramps seems to so often bring out the worst in   people that  most likely have issues to begin with..
 Sad part is,  this dangerous behavior is  often carried out by  people with large, powerful ,expensive boats, that must be  a success in life to be able to afford  the boats they run.. Never could understand that part of the equation.. Usually people with money have more intellect...... right???....... bob

Money doesn't buy brains, just stuff... Just like a smart phone. Its only as smart as the user...

Sent from my VS425PP using Lake Ontario United mobile app

37 minutes ago, FishingTheFL said:

Money doesn't buy brains, just stuff... Just like a smart phone. Its only as smart as the user...

Sent from my VS425PP using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Understood, and I agree, but I have always tended to  be pretty naive'..
I suppose  i always reason along the following equation

Money= intellect

Intellect= civility

Doesn't work that way,,, bob

New generation...
Money = entitlement.

Its not just my generation either. Some guys my age are very respectful... I agree with what some else said... EVERYONE should take a boating course... Just because you were born on a certain date and grand fathered in so you don't need the course... Doesn't make you sea worthy... Guy charging at you would of known fishing vessels have the right of way... I took a course when I was 15 or so... Parents forced it on us... But I use to cruise the St. Lawrence... Can be very dangerous out there

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

New generation...
Money = entitlement.

Its not just my generation either. Some guys my age are very respectful... I agree with what some else said... EVERYONE should take a boating course... Just because you were born on a certain date and grand fathered in so you don't need the course... Doesn't make you sea worthy... Guy charging at you would of known fishing vessels have the right of way... I took a course when I was 15 or so... Parents forced it on us... But I use to cruise the St. Lawrence... Can be very dangerous out there

I'm one of the "new generation" fisherman out there. I can't count the number of times I've been run over by power boaters/fisherman of all ages. I do 100% agree a mandatory course should be put in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Just my 2 cents that is probably worth less..... As a lifetime fisherman at 48 years young and also a 25 year teacher, I have seen things that would make your head spin. I have found that many things combine to cause the lack of accountability for one's actions. The entitlement comes at all ages. I found that size, attitude, money, job, or just how you were raised could give someone a false sense of entitlement. When it comes to others safety or we'll being, it is not their concern. Very selfish world we now live in. Be safe, look out for your fellow sportsman. Oh! almost forgot, someone from my hunting camp shot over my head while we were starting to push on a drive. He told told me it was my fault, I shouldn't have been there. He knew where I was. From Hill Street Blues: "Let's be careful out there."

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

3 hours ago, FishingTheFL said:

New generation...
Money = entitlement.

May need to take the course again. A vessel fishing with lines doesn't automaticly have right away

19 minutes ago, FishingTheFL said:

Not automatically no... But to jet ski and pleasure boats

99% sure that is incorrect... fishing with lines is not considered a RAM.. only nets and trawls... boats fishing under power with lines follow same rules of the road as any other boat under power

Edited by bandrus1

OK I was the stand on craft as the big boat approached from my port side. I was engaged in fishing. I was going east, he was going south. I was engaged in fishing. He was the stand off craft as he came on my port side. Free to navigate.
He had 3 miles of water behind me and decided to go in shore of me cutting me off quite intentionally .
Had he swamped me as he could have easily at 30 yds or less. Had I survived, I'd have had his ass In court. His actions were dangerous, out of pure ignorance and flat out stupid. I was fishing near dead still at 1.8 mph. He knew exactly what he was doing. Showing off his stupidity. Next time I hope never but if I see him words will be spoken.

Bassin.... just for the sake of having the correct information for people... the fact you were engaged in fishing with lines and only going 1.8 mph have nothing to do with who has the right of way in this situation.

No way I'm saying your wrong but those 2 factors play 0 part in right away

17 minutes ago, Bassin Bob said:

True. I was stating the incident. Fishing has no bearing on it.
Had it been a boat with motor off facing east dead still. His actions were still stupid.

I do also believe a boat stopped must follow the proper rules of the road for 2 power driven boats as having the power off does not make you a NUC

Your a better man than me. I've gotten to the point where fishing the small vessel that I do in the area I fish the most I'm not afraid to open my mouth. It's the only way sometimes that people especially those with the big yachts out of Ithaca will give you respect. No one seems to follow the right of ways as far as passing port to port or simple stuff let alone the unwritten rules such as distance separation 

My dad made me take a "piloting,seamanship and small boat handling" course before he let me use his boat. It was like 13 weeks and pretty hard. That was 50 years ago. Last year i took the state course on line for the heck of it. It's free if you don't need the certificate. Trouble is no matter how well you know the rules it seems no one else does. I avoid trouble by assuming everyone else is drunk,on the phone,and out for the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United