Oswego 8/6 - 8/8

Headed up to Mexico on Sunday morning due to Saturdays 13 footers.  Got up there around 1 and was told to forget about it until Monday.  Well we took a ride out of the little salmon and made it out to 200FOW and decided it was doable and headed to where I knew there was fish a few days ago.  Ended up in 400-450 but it did take us quite a while to get out there.  Fished for an hour or so and landed a small king and lost a bigger one.  After losing my right side side downrigger setup due to a bad turn we decided to head in early.  

Got the rigger all setup Monday morning and headed out around 6am.   Definitely a little better ride out but still 12 miles out in my trophy was a bit annoying.  Got to the same area and it was on.  I think we ended up 4 for 7 and headed in around noon.  Problems with my bilge this time.  Mice decided to make a nest in my lines to the bilge.  Bilge was full of paper towel and other nesting materials.  At one time there was a mouse running around the boat.  With the possibility of thunderstorms we stayed in on Monday afternoon.  

Fished again Tuesday.  Tried a little shallower 300-350 and made the wrong call.  Picked up and headed to the same area and boated 2 small kings and another mature along with many losses on the meat.  Even lost a jumping coho on the meet.  Probably would have did better but the smaller kings did not release my blacks.  Wasn't thinking but I should have loosened them up.  Not sure why we lost so many fish on that meat setup but ofcourse I replaced the hook and never got another take on it.  

Dipseys and downriggers were pretty much equal.  No spoon bite for us.  Just the flasher fly and the meat.  Only ran the copper a couple times but it just got in the way.  First day we found 50 degrees down 95 on the riggers.  The next day had to run 130 on the riggers to find the same water.  Did find some bait out there and most marks were around the bait.   

Also cracked my kicker plate on the trailering up from CT.  So it was the weekend of mishaps but I'll take it over working.  And the box of 4 kings made up for it.  

image.jpg

Edited by f1sh-0n

Thanks for the report.

Wow. One mishap after another. Glad you got to fish...& catch some fish. Hope all the boat issues get worked out & you light them up again next time. 

B safe & good luck!