Flasher-spoons?

Flasher-spoons?

Wondering if any of you guys ever run the standard 3-6" spoons behind a flasher? I know flasher-flies and flasher-meat are the most popular combos, and I've even heard of some people using dodger-spoon rigs, but never much mention of flasher-spoons.

I'll be fishing out of Olcott for the next 2.5 days and from what I've heard so far, it's almost entirely a spoon bite offshore. That said, I'm a firm believer in always having at least one flasher in the spread whenever trolling for any of the silver species, more often than not I think it simply attracts them in to the spread so they see the spoons on other lines and go after them instead, as my catch rate is usually higher when pulling a flasher-fly while the flasher itself is rarely touched. 

To me, if the fish are eating primarily spoons at the time, it makes sense to run a flasher off one of my riggers to attract the Salmon & Trout to the spread and pair it with a spoon four feet or so behind that (so its action is independent of the flasher). Thoughts?

Edited by Char_Master

They work real well and it helps to run them along side the boat as you deploy and observe the speed at which they run best with the particular setup.

Edited by Sk8man

Glad I tried this rig, it was our number one producer this weekend. Caught 13/18 fish Friday night and Saturday morning/afternoon and the vast majority were on a 4" Moonshine Flounder Pounder about five feet behind an 8" Dragon Slayer Spin Doctor. Same SD with a Mixed Veggies Stinger took our biggest fish of the weekend, a 12 pound Steelhead. Glad to add another weapon to my arsenal!

IMG_6216.JPG

Edited by Char_Master