Downrigger rod set ups

I come seeking further guidance on fishing here on the finger lakes. As I've mentioned in other post this is my first year really trolling or fishing the lakes. I started with the dipseys and finally got some downriggers going. How do you guys set up your rods to actually put out in the water. If I'm gonna run spoons and I have 20 pound mono on the reel, do you put a leader on to a thinner line or just tie it right on. What kinda line do you put on for other set ups? I plan on runnin spoons, flasher fly sets ups and gambler rigs. Can someone give me a good rule of thumb for the different set ups. I have dodgers and spinners as well to put on

Thanks in advance guys. Plan on fishing cayuga lake the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

i fished cayuga today with down riggers the rods/ reels has 30 lb mono and 15 ft fluorocarbon leader .(12lb ) i used a small barrel swivel to join the lines together and snap swivel at the spoon end . for flashers ,cow bells you don't need any leader . 

Edited by fisherdude

On 8/11/2017 at 4:31 PM, fisherdude said:

i fished cayuga today with down riggers the rods/ reels has 30 lb mono and 15 ft fluorocarbon leader .(12lb ) i used a small barrel swivel to join the lines together and snap swivel at the spoon end . for flashers ,cow bells you don't need any leader . 

X2 but I switched to 10# this year

30 lb Bloodrun Sea Flee mono with 20 ft 10-12 lb Segaur fluoro leader connected together by #8 Spro power swivel (50 lb test) with a solid ring ball bearing swivel at the lure end of the leader for spoons or sticks. For flasher or spin doctor use or cowbells I delete the fluoro leader and just use the solid ring swivel with a duolock snap on it.

Edited by Sk8man

If this helps, I use this rule of thumb on downriggers. The deeper I go the closer to the weight and shorter leader of 10 to 12 lb fluro.
The higher up I go the farther back from the weights i.e. 60 down 15 back , 40 down 30 back 20 down 60 to 80 back and longer leader up to 20 feet.
But! The fish dictate this most days. Some days the lure is 8 feet from the weight at 60 , 70, 80. Other days 20, 30. You have to see what they want not what you want.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app