Skaneateles Skan 8-12-17

change it up.. There is good bass fishing and panfishing all around that lake in 20 -30 FOW on small jigs or bait.. Catching   bass and panfish is a lot better than not catching trout.. I have been up there 3 times in the past few weeks, and have seen NO boats trolling at all.. All bass or perch fishermen...

I loooove fishing Skaneateales...but the launches are too packed on weekends and the lake is a complete nut house from my experience the past 5 years. This is my girlfriends favorite lake but I refuse to go there unless its on a weekday. Have not been there once this year due to last years experiences. Many people have no respect or common sense on this lake...I love hearing the reports though!

yes it gets bad out there.. dangerous too.. People swimming mid lake, can't even see them in a chop.. Kayakers, canoers, jet skis,tubers puller behind big cabin cruisers, water skiers,  paddle boards, row boats, fishing boats, hot rodders, big old mahogany Chris Crafts with flags  flapping,  Pontoons by the billion,, half of them drunk it seems, the other half simply oblivious...Get out at the crack of dawn, and off the water early.. It will change  for the better in just a few weeks...bob

Edited by bulletbob

Fortunately, I have enough warmwater fish in the freezer for our use.  Really enjoy the RT and LLS from Skan, both the fight and on the grill.  Fished in front of the State launch and off Mandana.  The fish are there, just feeding on small perch, which appear to be in very large numbers.  Hopefully the bite will pick up by Labor Day..

Recreational boat traffic was very light yesterday, but we left at 10:00.  There was a bass club tournament as 6 or 7 boats all left the launch at the same time.   The lake is beautiful and you can't blame people for wanting to enjoy it.