Targeting summer browns

Hi All,

Looking for any insight into targeting summer browns or anything else that may be hanging inshore. Own a 16' deep v and not comfortable running out past 120' or so even in good weather. I don't at the moment have any way to check temp other than at the surface. Will be coming out of the kendall area. Looking for any general advice anyone can shed. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

browns like 55-61 degree water and are usually found where that temp meets the bottom.without knowing temps I would start by fishing in approx 60 fow within 10' of the bottom and gradually move out keeping tight to bottom until you find them.

(example)If you catch a brown in 70fow keep working that depth as more will be there,you should see them on your graph if that depth shuts off ,the 55-61 degree water may have moved in or out a little. Temps can stay consistant or change hrly depending on wind and current.small to medium size spoons will work. 

Investing in a fishhawk temp system would be a good investment for you as it takes all the guess work out of it.

The browns could be as shallow as 30' or as deep as 110'. Just depends on recent winds and currents. good luck!

browns like 55-61 degree water and are usually found where that temp meets the bottom.without knowing temps I would start by fishing in approx 60 fow within 10' of the bottom and gradually move out keeping tight to bottom until you find them.
(example)If you catch a brown in 70fow keep working that depth as more will be there,you should see them on your graph if that depth shuts off ,the 55-61 degree water may have moved in or out a little. Temps can stay consistant or change hrly depending on wind and current.small to medium size spoons will work. 
Investing in a fishhawk temp system would be a good investment for you as it takes all the guess work out of it.
The browns could be as shallow as 30' or as deep as 110'. Just depends on recent winds and currents. good luck!

Good advice

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I find as the end of August rolls around, don't be afraid to fish up to 70 degrees.  Like kings, the spawners seem to like the warmer water.  If you see marks up high above the thermalcline, most of the times they are big browns (some days they are in 70+ degree water).  Free sliders and high divers work well on those fish.  I like 55-65 degrees for browns in summer.  I find where 60-62 degrees intersects the bottom and work inside and outside of that zone. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2017 at 8:06 PM, NorthRiver said:

Clear and concise, thanks! There is a fish hawk in my future, it's just a big nut to crack at the price they are running.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Way to go!!   Yeah the price is steep but the results will make you say.... man I should have bought one sooner.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2017 at 11:29 AM, Pa223 said:

Way to go!!   Yeah the price is steep but the results will make you say.... man I should have bought one sooner.

I will second that statement.  I just bought one a couple of weeks back, and am wishing I would have bought one a couple of years ago.  Browns are almost easy now!  Great investment! :)