Olcott - Saturday 12th

Another fantastic day fishing the greatest fishery! We ran out to 450 feet of water and setup on a north troll straight north of Olcott. We found clusters of bait on and off the whole way. It was pretty fast action and had ten fish by 8:00 am but then slowed down a bit and took a couple more hours to box out. Mostly kings with a couple big steelhead. Spoons on the riggers and flasher/flies on the divers, didn't have time to put the coppers out, it was hard to keep all the lines in with several doubles and even a triple on at once. It was a little rough out but very fishable.AF07FB76-221C-477B-B4E2-AEB0A2DDA316.thumb.JPG.8116a085305474abe09f61d649dc7b66.JPGIMG_1959.thumb.JPG.e65b942db6dee26ca59555d0072ee3c8.JPGIMG_1970.thumb.JPG.e6bc742bf3632bdf48cd4e4f9270d80b.JPGIMG_1975.thumb.JPG.16758e397cb87c11c42b669e85d455e3.JPGIMG_1986.thumb.JPG.c178b4bb6842d9853d332e585e2042f5.JPGIMG_1988.thumb.JPG.988c2dc7169811555eb8fc5a0016ff0b.JPG Be back at it in the morning!

24 minutes ago, garrymny said:

Thanks for the report. Do you run the spoons behind spin doctors, or paddles, or do you just run a spoon? 

Just the spoon, never tried running an attractor ahead of a spoon but have heard that it works. 

Just curious Decoy Hound, how big is the boat that you are fishing from. Alot of talk this year about fishing over 500 feet of water. I'm only fishing from an 18 footer and concerned about the run. Thanks

1 hour ago, dry net said:

Just curious Decoy Hound, how big is the boat that you are fishing from. Alot of talk this year about fishing over 500 feet of water. I'm only fishing from an 18 footer and concerned about the run. Thanks

My boat is 22 foot, it's not a lot of fun fishing in the rough stuff, but we were committed. We already had our motel reservations and a guy took a couple vacation days from work. This is my boat.IMG_1736.thumb.JPG.143d81d2635f937f9c844442e944da9f.JPG

3 hours ago, dry net said:

I was out deep yesterday in my 19 footer with no issues, fished between 400 and 500 FOW and it was well worth the run out  Used to make runs out that deep in an old 16ft Sylvan Sea Monster on nice days as well.  

Sunday was definitely a challenge, took a lot longer to get to the 30 line. It was really blowing in the morning but we finally made it. Some bait around but not many marks, spent some time searching and finally setup in about 450 feet and trolled with the waves. Picked up a few steelhead and coho, no real size, heard the bar was having a king bite, so we made the long run, took quite a while with the waves coming at you! But it was pretty much over by the time we arrived, just a few shakers. So we decided to do a little more searching, headed back east and trolled between 200 and 250 feet of water. Finally found great bait in 240-260 feet just west of Wilson, picked up a few teenage kings in a small area. Kind of surprising with down temps in the mid 60's, 80-100 down. But I said it before, it seems this year if you find bait you'll  find the kings no matter the temperature. My buddy didn't make the run with us to the bar, instead decided to keep working the 27-28 line and did great with a limit of teenage kings by noon. So I made the wrong move by not being  patient and giving it some time, it's always a tough decision to leave fish hoping to find better fish. Still had an awesome time on my favorite Great Lake! I'd trade you guys Erie in a heartbeat, I think I'm done with smalleyes till November when they become walleyes again! IMG_1960.thumb.JPG.42864d0cd9146f149ba07c4d77ce2b4f.JPGIMG_1997.thumb.JPG.32ec20a055d3fa46606dbc8b275ac149.JPGI'll be back in two weeks. 

On 8/13/2017 at 10:47 AM, ifishy said:

What's the make and model of that? Looks like a nice rig for towing

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The boat is an Alumaweld Intruder made in Oregon. All quarter inch welded aluminum, no wood, no rivets, Built like a tank with a custom hardtop, 175 gallon fuel capacity. I've owned fiberglass and tin boats both in the past, just sold my Thompson 260 Fisherman. Can it tow, yeah, pulled a 35 foot fiberglass boat in once that broke down and ripped out one of his cleats in the process, mine handled it no problem. Do I miss a bigger boat, sure, I do have a lot of tackle and it's hard to fit it all on a small boat. 

By far it seemed like the later morning this weekend was a very good bite. Friday and Saturday we never had a bit till after 830 then is was game on. Thursday we left dock at 3pm and were back to dock just before 6 with are limit. Cant beat 3 days fishing and limited every day within 4 hrs. 

2 minutes ago, Hooked Up said:

By far it seemed like the later morning this weekend was a very good bite. Friday and Saturday we never had a bit till after 830 then is was game on. Thursday we left dock at 3pm and were back to dock just before 6 with are limit. Cant beat 3 days fishing and limited every day within 4 hrs. 

Yeah it's a great fishery, wish it wasn't a 4 hour drive. It really spoiled me and finding it hard to want to fish Erie anymore.                       Saturday for us the early bite was great we had 10 fish by 8:00 then took 2 more hours to get the last 2. Sunday we became impatient and expected the same results as Saturday.