olcott...Sunday morning

olcott...Sunday morning

Left launch at 6:30 am...was gonna get a look  at the wave heights from the road and didn't see any white caps so took a chance and glad we did..bumpy ride out though but made it to 450 ft and set up...kept it simple..2 riggers...one parked at 90 with two face sd with ss stud fly..other froggie glow dw parked at 75...2 wire dipsey both with white double crush sd paddles and white glow atomic Flys. ...into cluster of shakers right away...lowered both to 105 and quickly caught a teen...our best depth was 475 feet dead north of Olcott...didn't realize that we were  almost in Canadian water...looked at GPS and wow ..we were at the fence..we never got to 500 ft because we were too far west..needed to go southeast to find 500...circled back to marks we caught fish earlier and bam ...into a nice mix of steelhead and kings...all at 475 ft..3 steelhead....7 salmon...all  on spin doctors and flys....not a single spoon bite...Largest was 15 lbs. ..Super fat but most didn't put up much of a fight...normally not the case...I usually don't get a lot of chances on the rod unless my guest aren't paying attention but was making a rigger  adjustment and when I started lowering the rigger it fired...screaming drag and I'm thinking...sweet...wrong...25 lb test was looped around itself on the spool and I was able to loosen the first knot....then the fish decided to make a run...looked down at the spool and there it was again....looped...felt the rod almost rip out of my hands and could only hang on as the line went limp and there goes the sd & fly toronto bound....you know the feeling....lesson learned from this...you can spend time installing new drags on all your gear but that's useless if you leave 25 lb mono on your reels for 3 years.....never gave the drag a chance to perform....other than that the two guys that went with me did a great job on the rods & net and lake ontario gave us a great day...

thanks for the report. I also noticed  friday, on the chart it seems you have to go slightly east of olcott to get 500 and deeper. We did, and didn't do so well, so I think you did the right thing by circling back. I always forget to circle whwre I gt the fish, and I believe in hindsight, it is a mistake.

5 hours ago, mmmevy said:

olcott...Sunday morning

Left launch at 6:30 am...was gonna get a look  at the wave heights from the road and didn't see any white caps so took a chance and glad we did..bumpy ride out though but made it to 450 ft and set up...kept it simple..2 riggers...one parked at 90 with two face sd with ss stud fly..other froggie glow dw parked at 75...2 wire dipsey both with white double crush sd paddles and white glow atomic Flys. ...into cluster of shakers right away...lowered both to 105 and quickly caught a teen...our best depth was 475 feet dead north of Olcott...didn't realize that we were  almost in Canadian water...looked at GPS and wow ..we were at the fence..we never got to 500 ft because we were too far west..needed to go southeast to find 500...circled back to marks we caught fish earlier and bam ...into a nice mix of steelhead and kings...all at 475 ft..3 steelhead....7 salmon...all  on spin doctors and flys....not a single spoon bite...Largest was 15 lbs. ..Super fat but most didn't put up much of a fight...normally not the case...I usually don't get a lot of chances on the rod unless my guest aren't paying attention but was making a rigger  adjustment and when I started lowering the rigger it fired...screaming drag and I'm thinking...sweet...wrong...25 lb test was looped around itself on the spool and I was able to loosen the first knot....then the fish decided to make a run...looked down at the spool and there it was again....looped...felt the rod almost rip out of my hands and could only hang on as the line went limp and there goes the sd & fly toronto bound....you know the feeling....lesson learned from this...you can spend time installing new drags on all your gear but that's useless if you leave 25 lb mono on your reels for 3 years.....never gave the drag a chance to perform....other than that the two guys that went with me did a great job on the rods & net and lake ontario gave us a great day...

Snapped brand new 20lb flouro leader saturday when I left drag too tight off the boards, rod doubled over just got my hand on the reel and it snapped.  Considering the flea issues how do you get away with 25LBS test?

Cabezon...I have some Shimano Triton SHX reels that are heavy duty from the late 1980s that I use only in July-Sept for Kings....great leverage and can load on 25lb big game line...Fleas come and go  but I check the line frequently....I did a little investigation when I got home yesterday and noticed the line on the reel that caused me to break off on a good fish was in fact twisted badly...I was running spin doctor & fly on that rod with about a 15 foot lead and that rod fired at least 10 times before I broke off...I remember when resetting the line that the line on several occasions was wrapping around the tip of the rod ..I would straighten it out then lower it back down into the hot zone....the release I use is a scottys 18" release that is attached to the downrigger ball...Thinking now that the spinning action of the flasher was twisting more than the swivels on the flasher could keep up with .....causing the line to twist badly...hence knotting up on the reel ....so lesson learned...

Sunday we had over 30 bites caught about 20 mix of  cohos kings and steel lost a couple larger fish right at boat some just didn't want to stay hooked great day with the kid and our newfound buddy from Ohio Rattler (Kevin) hopefully find those mature fish for reeling for cure tournament Friday cmon weather gods be good to our ladies out there