Smoked salmon

Smoked salmon

This is how I do my smoked salmon. Done around 50lbs of fillets so far, with a lot more to go.

3 cups brown sugar

3/4 cup salt

That's it for the brine. I leave the skin on if I am smoking fish. Sometimes I like to grind some black pepper on the top before I form the pellicle. The pellicle is THE most important part of smoking fish. I rinse the brined fish in cold water after a day or two of brining. I lay the fish out under fans until the surface gets tacky. Then it goes into the smoker. I use a big chief with a mix of apple and alder chips. Smoke it until it gets to the consistency I want.

Easy peasy.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I use a similar brine but smoke alot of trout so i smoke them at around 180-200. it usually takes about 3 hours to finish. at about 1.5 hours i brush on a little maple syrup and then let them finish. comes out great every time. Lake trout taste excellent with this as well.

• Like 1

I just got a box of maple sugar in the mail the other day, going to experiment with it a little. I got that and a gallon of real maple syrup. Between the two I should be able to put some maple flavor into some smoked salmon. If you like heat you can sprinkle on whatever hot stuff you have. I have a jar of smoked ghost pepper powder that I put on some of my salmon before the pellicle forms. I barely put any on and it is HOT! The sweet helps to balance it out though. I also put course ground black pepper on some. People really seem to like the pepper.

The most important part is to put it on before you form the pellicle, otherwise it will just brush off. If you put it on before it pretty much gets locked on.

5 hours ago, FishinHank said:

I just got a box of maple sugar in the mail the other day, going to experiment with it a little. I got that and a gallon of real maple syrup. Between the two I should be able to put some maple flavor into some smoked salmon. If you like heat you can sprinkle on whatever hot stuff you have. I have a jar of smoked ghost pepper powder that I put on some of my salmon before the pellicle forms. I barely put any on and it is HOT! The sweet helps to balance it out though. I also put course ground black pepper on some. People really seem to like the pepper.

The most important part is to put it on before you form the pellicle, otherwise it will just brush off. If you put it on before it pretty much gets locked on.

That sounds delicious. I can already taste that.  Where did you get the maple sugar? And home much does 5 lbs of that cost.  Lol

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...