Lab Training

Lab Training

Good Morning, 

I'm looking for some guidance and recommendations on some Lab Training, that would be available in the Livonia area.

I am getting my 8wk old pup on Thursday this week and was hoping to find some local training club / individual.

Please let me know if anyone knows of a good source in the Livonia / Hemlock area.

IMG_0028.JPG

I would look into the Western New York Retriever Club https://www.facebook.com/Western-New-York-Retriever-Club-Inc-170685129609037/

They do training days and testing events. I'm not sure what the schedule looks like coming up but its worth a look.

They would also probably be able to point you in the direction of pro trainers or people that would help

Thanks Everyone that has offered suggestions.

I am going to visit Pheasant Hollow in Bloomfield to start out with to see how that goes.

So far my pup is doing well, but then I don't know what I don't know.

Sure seems to be interested in what we are doing at least.

• 1 month later...

I'll second ubetcha on recommending Peak Performance.  Tammy trained my yellow lab (Junior) this past year and has done an amazing job with him.  He was very responsive to her and she did a great job getting him ready for the field for me.  She also did a a lot of work with him and water, although he is not quite ready for that (not her fault he just has a ton of drive and needs to calm down a little yet).  I am very excited to test him out in the field in the coming weeks.  I originally brought Junior to Sean Hager who owns Muddy Bay Retrievers.  Tammy and Sean train their dogs together and since Tammy's dogs were training at the same level as Junior, she ended up training him.  I would recommend either of them hands down.  The do a great job with their dogs and Junior has been happy to be back with Sean and Tammy every time I have taken him to them.

I had considered training Junior myself, but he is my first hunting dog and as you said: You don't know what you don't know. 

Hope this helps.

Best.

20170930_073406.jpg

Edited by SalmonSniper

Well, I settled on a local Gun Dog Club and Bear has been in traing for the past several weeks. Today he turned 15wks. He is tracking the birds well, and we started him with gun fire this past weekend. He worked extremely well and I couldn't be happier right now. Tracked both birds, flushed them, we shot and he retrieved both. He is not holding them well when he brings them in, but he is dropping them at my feet. Thanks for all the responses and guidance so far.

We are getting closer to wrapping up the boats and getting settled into our hutning seasons. Good luck to everyone and stay safe.

Bear at 15wks.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...