Planning a trip to waneta

I'm planning on spending a weekend on waneta this fall for Musky. I don't know much about musky fishing, but it's one fish that has been on my bucket list. I recently purchased a rod and specifically for musky, and I a huge coated net for landing them. Just had a few questions I was hoping someone could help me out with.

Which month should I plan my trip?

What kind of main line and leader should I run?

What depths should I be focusing on?

And what are a few must have lures I should have?

I know a lot of guys don't like sharing specifics, but I would really appreciate any info you guys would be willing to give. I would love to catch my first Muskie

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Asking guys for their musky secrets is like asking to spend the night with their wife. Actually that's an exaggeration, they'd sooner give ya the wife
Lmao I'm not a musky fisherman but thought the same thing seems like those and perch is hard to find info on.....hopefully someone reaches out in a pm or something to help a fellow fisherman

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Waneta is a good choice for your first one. The lake is small enough no matter what you offer muskies will see it. I would go in September. 65 lb braid will handle any fish there. Any good leader will work but avoid the cheap eagle claw type stuff;the snap will fail and break your heart. Baits are up to you. When they're hungry anything works,when they have lockjaw you get skunked. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

65lb or 80lb braid is most common along with a quality leader of heavier strength for casting .

For fall casting- mid sept to ice up is best imo. As for baits, old classics like a suick r easily available and have tricked 1000s of fish along with the many rubber baits now days that are easy to fish .

Best luck n hope u get to check this one off Ur bucket list and trust me on this- have some bolt cutters in Ur boat.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 2 months later...

Thank you guys for all who gave me info about targeting musky. I was able to land my first this weekend, and my buddy was also. We each had 3 opportunity’s this weekend, all casting. If you like catching fish, Musky Fishing isn’t for you. Its mentally and physically draining, but casting from sun up to sun down 2 days in a row paid off. I would love to make one more trip out this year in hopes to hookup with the between 40 and 50 incher that hit me 5 feet from the boat. All in all, it was a great experience, and I now see how musky guys get addicted to this fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

IMG_5270.JPGIMG_5262.JPG

• 4 months later...

Awesome job on fish,  planning a trip in June for a week. Any recommendations of  place to stay.

I have been on air bnb and other sites with no success in finding affordable lodging.  Are there any  fisherman friendly places to stay or campground close by???  Going to be out on water most of time casting for toothy fish

Thanks in advance for respond. 

• Like 1