The BEST Hull Cleaner I've ever used

longbow

The BEST Hull Cleaner I've ever used

So had to pull my boat Sat. due to what turned out to be a wash down hose connection problem that as I turned it on running out to fish flooded my bilge with quite a bit of water.  Anyways long story short pulled the boat, fixed the problem yesterday.  While it was out I figured I'd clean it up on the hull and get it ready for the fall tournament.  

So go to Home Depot to get a roller brush and pan to apply some acid I have at home to do the hull.  So talking to a customer service person there who happened to be a woman and whose husband is a fisherman, mentioned he used ZEP's equivalent to CLR.  So I listen to her and figure well if the ZEPS is good then the CLR is better cause you know 3x more expensive and then some.  But ended up with 2 gallons of ZEP's for less than the price of one gallon of CLR.  

Come out to Hughes where I say mostly spring-fall, and with a bug sprayer loaded with this stuff, spray it on the hull on one side.  Let it sit about 20 minutes to a half hour and then using my pressure washer wash it off.  Frankly I was blown away by the results.  No friggin scurbbing or anything.  Boat on that side was like show room new and I kid you not.  Heavily browned with what ever it is the lake puts on it over almost 5 months of fishing and sitting at the dock.  Especially the transom, had moss hanging like hair off the trim tabs and pretty much everything else.  Took about 15 minutes to apply it, 10 minutes to wash it off and half hour to drink a beer!  Did the other side which is the dock side and that was even worse.  Same results.  My boat has never been this clean, all the brown stain on the bottom is completely gone.  So there ya go.  

If you can't find ZEP or want an alternative, checkout "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner. I am crazy about a clean boat. I have acid washed every year (I am over 50). 2 years ago a fellow boater told me to give this stuff a shot. It was insane. My 3/4" rug fell right off and the coffee stain was also gone. Boat looked like it came out of the mold. Best part, is that is cost $1.75 at Big Lots or $2.00 at Lowes. The bottles are pretty large and 2 bottles did my 23 footer, one on each side with a 3/4" rug. I applied it with a floor mop (old school sponge head). I have had both galvanized and aluminium trailers. None of this stuff is good for them. My tip to you is put a lawn sprinkler under the middle of the boat after you are done. Let it run for a few hours. It flushes any leftover acids away from the metal and out of the bunks. I have never had any etching issues on either trailer doing this.

Mine is a glass PY Avenger.  Paid a bit over 6 bucks a gallon at Home Depot. I didn't notice anything else coming off with it at all.  I used the high pressure spray end so it gave a nice wide spray pattern and went over each side 2x with the washer.  

I don't know about it melting the paint on my trailer.  I had it on my arm and hand to no ill effect.  Didn't effect my trailer either and actually cleaned up a bit of the rust spots on it.  Put it on my engine  outdrive, kicker, trim tabs, transducer etc.  Didn't hurt anything nor me hands or arms.  It's pretty slippery feeling so I am assuming it has surfactants in it.  All I know is that it worked for me.  Says its made to use on  metal too as a rust eliminator.  Use at your own risk I guess.  I was happy with the results.  

You may want to read the MSDS sheet, it contains acids. "This cleaner is not for use on wood, fabric, natural stone, aluminum, brass, chrome or painted surfaces." "The Works" contains acid also.

Edited by lost a lure

Again had it on my arms and hands to no ill effect.  Didn't affect anything on the hull other than taking off the crust and lime stains and long hair that was hanging off it.  Used a high pressure washer to remove it.  Cleaned my trim tabs to look like new as well as my outdrive.  My transducer is still working as it should too.  It is way better than using muriatic acid which is really caustic.  I used that last year and didn't enjoy it one bit but it did clean the boat half way decent but with alot scrubbing .  It was a buffered compound though and not pure muriatic acid.  To me the ZEP'S was much safer and way way more efficient.  thanks

:lol: I'm always proud to be with ya bud no matter which boat or whether filthy or not. That is what old friends are for to accept ya with all your faults:lol:

Edited by Sk8man

I use the Starbrite hull cleaner spray on hose off stuff which works Ok for most times but again I trailer my boat and it never stands in water  so it is mostly dirt rathet than moss etc. that is being cleaned.

3 hours ago, Sloooo Motion said:

it took a half hr to drink a beer??? lol

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

LOL, that's what I found the most fault with, the hell with the acid!!

I'm trying to cut down on the beer intake!  How'd ya do last weekend Slooo Motion?  Heard a bit of motion sickness with your fishing buddy.  Saw ya coming in when I was heading home. 5 plus  footers will do that though.  

I use iron out. Fiberglass hull. Spray it on with pump sprayer and then rinse with fresh water and good as new. Give it a shot. First time I saw it used I couldn't believe the results. I also use it on a aluminum hull tracker.  

Well I guess he is not going to tell us what exact ZEP product he used. As mentioned there are a few different ones, and without telling us exactly which one the entire post is not helping as much as should. Please tell us, and thank you.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I don't know the product number, but it is the same as CLR only BETTER.  It is rust, stain, and calcium remover.  Comes in a blue colored gallon jug at Home Depot.  Sorry that I can't remember the product number.  But I think in the first post I mention rust, stain, and calcium remover.  

For fiberglass boats you can't beat "On and Off".  I pour it into a spray bottle.  Spray the hull.  Lightly agitate with a sponge.  And just spray it off.  Hull looks brand new.  But it does strip the wax off.  So you need to apply some Fleet Wax when you're done.

FWIW, Bar Keepers Friend will work just as well for small areas.  It contains the same acid.

13 hours ago, longbow said:

I don't know the product number, but it is the same as CLR only BETTER.  It is rust, stain, and calcium remover.  Comes in a blue colored gallon jug at Home Depot.  Sorry that I can't remember the product number.  But I think in the first post I mention rust, stain, and calcium remover.  

Thanks Longbow, I think I will try it on my old boat it is really dull.