I'm running 10 and 12 lb weights. Also 30 line and 2 rods on one rigger, one on the other. At 2.0 the blowback is alot. At 120 ft wow. I realize the 30 ld line is friction loss cable etc. Any suggestions. I'm tipping my transducers back to keep the weights on screen. But speed changes they disappear. You mark a fish but where are the weights?

Help please. Running pancakes. 10 lb , cast iron 12s .

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

For starters you need either torpedo or shark type weights and most likely the problem will be solved.. If not, your transducer needs repositioning.

Edited by Sk8man

I'm running 10 and 12 lb weights. Also 30 line and 2 rods on one rigger, one on the other. At 2.0 the blowback is alot. At 120 ft wow. I realize the 30 ld line is friction loss cable etc. Any suggestions. I'm tipping my transducers back to keep the weights on screen. But speed changes they disappear. You mark a fish but where are the weights?
Help please. Running pancakes. 10 lb , cast iron 12s .

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Pancakes =tangles. Especially in cross currents. Get some 12 lb ( or heavier ) torpedo weights. And keep in mind with this much blowback , you may need 150 ft or more downrigger cable out to reach 100 ft

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Another possible variable is the setting on your depth finder  if it is on a setting for shallow water e.g. 100 ft or less 200 khz you may be going way outside the cone aangle of the transducer. If you have say a 50 or 83 khz setting with a wider cone angle you may be able to pick up the weights better.

Edited by Sk8man

Sorry about off topic,,,here is a report.....fished out of sandy pond Sunday morning to 150 fow, fished ff, spoons, and cutbait, maybe fish not here yet...fished 6am to 11 am. Got no probe yet so temp is a guess.FYI I'm a newbie so don't go by my point of view, still trying to figure lake fishin out. Thanks chinook35 I'll check about transducer.

Sorry about off topic,,,here is a report.....fished out of sandy pond Sunday morning to 150 fow, fished ff, spoons, and cutbait, maybe fish not here yet...fished 6am to 11 am. Got no probe yet so temp is a guess.FYI I'm a newbie so don't go by my point of view, still trying to figure lake fishin out. Thanks chinook35 I'll check about transducer.

Think you may have been too shallow. That storm blew a lot of warm water into the bay. A good way to tell if you have DF transducer is to check the mounting bracket on the stern. A DF is a bigger ducer and has a two piece plastic mount. The 200 kHz skimmer trans has a one piece metal bracket

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks guys, just ordered the cheaper fish hawk, drop down reel up type. Still 6 miles out Is far enough for me in my 19 footer. 500 feet would be like 12 miles from sandy pond.maybe I'll try to catch a laker.

Bassin Bob, just a reminder.  Be careful not to equate where you see the weights on the fishfinder with their actual depth.  The fishfinder is measuring from the transducer to the weight ie. at the angle of the blowback.  The only time the depth of the ball and the fishfinder reading are the same is with no blowback.. For example, it would not be unusual for the fishfinder to show 120 ft and the weight only be down 100 ft., at trolling speed.  Of course the difference varies with boat speed, depth being fished, and size of the weight.

I have older mag 10 riggers that don't like a lot of weight with the longer booms.  I recently bought a pair of 10lb fish weights from bikini bottom (on this site), they track better than my pancake weights and even with the probe on one rigger dragging FF's the blow back isn't bad enough at 120' to lose the balls on the screen (I run 85/200 split screen).