Cayuga tough day

Hit water at dawn ran north to a little south of sheldrake trolled north trying to get used to down riggers and only caught one small ll. Figured out was screwing up on releases after wasting half morning struggled with some magnum dipsy issues too... and my copper line kinked all to hell... new strategy for tomorrow... proper set on releases lol no more than 20 ft behind the ball... run one flasher fly and the spoon dodger combo the salmon hot today.. standard dipsys out near bottom with gambler cow bells and redoing copper to a lead core up middle with a 30 foot leader fluorocarbon ....any other advice? Ran straight dipsys last week and the copper and boated 8 lost 6 add down riggers and my effectiveness dropped bad...

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

how many lines are running solo . 3 is the max per the state . for LL there is a thread name slivers in the finger lakes,Sk8man tells how to get it done . i to battle with my blacks release. to tight cant tell if dragging fish to light they pop when i speed up then slow down then up again . 

I am by far a pro, but one of the best things someone told me when I started trolling four years ago, start out slow and get good at one thing before moving onto the next. Especially if you're doing a lot of solo trips. With that said I have been using a number of different releases over the years and I really like the Chamberlain releases but the blacks are just as close, just have to keep fiddling with them to get the adjustments correct. I also have had a lot of good success with the small yellow Scotty releases when using spoons off my rigges. Don't forget to twist the line before putting it into the release. This past weekend I ran basically from T falls north to Rocky Doc and caught plenty of Silvers on riggers and spoons 50 to 70 feet down. Any spoon color with blue in it seemed to work really well. Also ran mag Dipsy's on #1 settings 175 feet and #3 settings 225 feet out running Spin Doctor and flies. My wire dipsy's did most of the laker damage. Hope this helps. I have had days like that and it's not fun. Best of luck next time you're out.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

how many lines are running solo . 3 is the max per the state . for LL there is a thread name slivers in the finger lakes,Sk8man tells how to get it done . i to battle with my blacks release. to tight cant tell if dragging fish to light they pop when i speed up then slow down then up again . 
Have you tried chamberlins....they are great I personally think they are better than the blacks by a long shot...i have both (first year trolling as you know)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

Have you tried chamberlins....they are great I personally think they are better than the blacks by a long shot...i have both (first year trolling as you know)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

no i don't have any chamberlins , i do have some walker release that i am going to give a try . Friday i got the blacks just right on Cayuga went to port bay Saturday and tightened them back up , back to Cayuga on Sunday and mess around with again . think keep the blacks for Ontario and the walkers for finger lakes 

I fished from T Falls to Kidders on Sunday and had a dismal day to say the least. 8 hrs of fishing and only managed 4 fish. How ever with that said I marked a ton of fish ranging in water depths from 40 to 80 ft. All the fish were in amongst huge bait piles. The fish were there just didn't want anything I wad to throw at them. The best marks on the fish finder were in 80 to 100 ft. I changed everything from leader lengths colors speed of the boat direction of travel was just a off day for what ever reason. Across the lake from Shaldreke some.one posted that they boated 60 fish. I guess you just never know. But I can saw it was better than being at work. Good luck to you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Sorry I did leave out that one detail, most of the time I was fishing between 250 and 400 feet of water. All suspended fish. But occasionally I would poke inside around 100 to 200 feet of water with a slight adjustment of my dipsy's and still got fish. Again good luck.

Fisherdude, did you have any trouble going out of Port Bay? And did you use the launch out on the island? Have often thought about going out that day to Lake O but have not made that trip yet. Looking at that area more toward the spring for browns. During this time of year I would go out of Oswego because deep water is only about 3 to 3 1/2 miles out.

19 minutes ago, Fishbowl836 said:

Fisherdude, did you have any trouble going out of Port Bay? And did you use the launch out on the island? Have often thought about going out that day to Lake O but have not made that trip yet. Looking at that area more toward the spring for browns. During this time of year I would go out of Oswego because deep water is only about 3 to 3 1/2 miles out.

yes, went out of the north launch on port bay the south end launch is closed. the road going in is a little rough in a short section after the last N wind a week ago . the state / dec patch it up a bit . i PM  L&M and got some intell before hand. i too was wounding if i could get in there the ramp and dock are fine .i like the short distance to the lake so it was worth it to me . we went 7 for 7 on kings there as well. i too used this launch for spring time browns year ago and plan to use it more now that i know i can put my saber in there .  you can be off sodus or fair haven with short run as well...

Fisherdude, thank you for the input. Yes I've been trolling now on the finger Lakes for four years. New to the whole trolling thing, but I still have not made it up to Lake Ontario. Almost went this past spring and I'm really itching to go this year for kings. I just have not made the move due to the big lake and the different wind directions. It's really funny in a way, when I first started going out of Myers point, Bear would pick on me because I would not go very far away from Myers. Now I go up and down the lake like it's nothing and don't think twice. It's just a matter of getting comfortable. Thanks again for the input and good luck next time you go out.

15 minutes ago, Fishbowl836 said:

Fisherdude, thank you for the input. Yes I've been trolling now on the finger Lakes for four years. New to the whole trolling thing, but I still have not made it up to Lake Ontario. Almost went this past spring and I'm really itching to go this year for kings. I just have not made the move due to the big lake and the different wind directions. It's really funny in a way, when I first started going out of Myers point, Bear would pick on me because I would not go very far away from Myers. Now I go up and down the lake like it's nothing and don't think twice. It's just a matter of getting comfortable. Thanks again for the input and good luck next time you go out.

once you go to Ontario and feel what its like to catch a good salmon you will be hooked . as for the lake its good to respect it but don't fear it . 

Heading to Cayuga tomorrow (Deans) for the silvers. Lake O looks a bit too "iffy". As far as the Black releases I have used them since they came out in the 70's and have tried most of the others. What I found is if you use a scale to set them  at about 3 to 3 1/2 lbs (I use an inexpensive luggage scale from Walmart (about$8?) that is supriisingly accurate. The only time I have to mess with them is if running large 11 inch flashers behind and there is strong current (Lake O). The Chamberlains are good too but I just don't feel like re-terminating the three downriggers when I already have something that works. Any info on Cayuga Brian? :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

56 minutes ago, Sk8man said:

Heading to Cayuga tomorrow (Deans). Lake O looks too "iffy". As far as the Black releases I have used them since they came out in the 70's and have tried most of the others. What I found is if you use a scale to set them  at about 3 to 3 1/2 lbs (I use an inexpensive luggage scale from Walmart (about$8?) that is supriisingly accurate. The only time I have to mess with them is if running large 11 inch flashers behind and there is strong current (Lake O). The Chamberlains are good too but I just don't feel like re-terminating the three downriggers when I already have something that works. Any info on Cayuga Brian? :lol:

zig  zag :)

You are a master of simplification Brian (as well as a good fisherman):lol: Thx bud.  Only after the silvers so as you know it can be hit or miss:)

Edited by Sk8man

16 minutes ago, Sk8man said:

You are a master of simplification Brian (as well as a good fisherman):lol: Thx bud.  Only after the silvers so as you know it can be hit or miss:)

hard to tell the best of best how to , i will have to show you :lol:

10 hours ago, bandrus1 said:

I wouldn't run Dipsey near bottom.. Cayuga has sharp drop offs and if you wander in a bit they are going to catch bottom

Not much to worry about most times.. I drag dipsys often when Laker fishing aswell as my rigger balls without much issue. Pick up alot of single strand copper and misc gear off bottom though

6 hours ago, suttontroller94 said:

Not much to worry about most times.. I drag dipsys often when Laker fishing aswell as my rigger balls without much issue. Pick up alot of single strand copper and misc gear off bottom though

Def not for me but good luck

16 hours ago, fisherdude said:

just half hitch a rubber band around your line and put the rubber band into the blacks release.  Then when you have a fish on you will be able to see the rod bouncing and can catch the fish.  This will eliminate dragging fish around that cant trip the release