Honeoye Walleye this weekend

Dunkirk my man is on fire, lots of nice eater sized eyes too.  Straight out, can't miss the fish or fisherman.....it's no secret.

Use to rent a place on Honeoye this time of the year, would manage a few walleyes in the deeper parts of the lake slow trolling with slow death rigs but it wasn't easy.  Fishing has just been so hot on Erie lately if you're able to get out there. 

Edited by semperfi

I take the long two hour drive to Dunkirk from Rochester for a reason. As Semperfi says, the place is on fire. Straight out, look for the boats and troll. Sticks spoons, worm harnesses. Right now it doesn't matter.

Edited by Pequod1

Can't say alot about the other fingers but otisco probably has the best walleye fishing and it hasn't been fishing well since the flooding.  Water has finally stopped going over the dam and fishing is just starting to improve a touch.  Ill bet the other lakes have plenty of water and dissolved oxygen as well and they too are probably trolling tougher than normal.  Fish are much deeper this summer and are spending a lot less time above the thermocline active on otisco at least.  Based on what I'm seeing if head to Erie if you are looking for numbers.  Last summer you couldn't have paid me to leave otisco for walleye.

Given the time of the season I'd keep a sharp eye out for blue/green algae in either place if it were me. I've seen Honeoye this time of year look as though someone spilled pea soup or green paint in sections of the lake (where it pooled up).

I made the two hour drive again yesterday to Erie. 17 eyes, one at 30".  I am not an experienced walleye fisherman.  We have been at Dunkirk, but I know guys out of the Cat that are doing just as well. Just check the wind and wave forecast out carefully and go.