tying 2 colors of lead to copper

tying 2 colors of lead to copper

I have seen at a couple of stores in the past that they are selling copper rigs with a couple colors of lead core on the end to help with deploying copper. Does anyone know what knot they are using I am thinking of trying this out. I can't seem to find anything on this.

I have used an Albright knot and would leave enough copper to haywire twist the end.  Then I would coat copper end with liquid rubber to finish.  Couple colors of leadcore helps the copper deploy easier also think you still get leadcore movement especially with spoons.

If you are new to copper I would say just run copper and get comfortable with it.  On long coppers I wouldn't add lead.  Only place I used it was on short coppers running off boards and I felt I could get the copper deployed quicker with a little lead on the front- fishing high with multiple lines.  To me the copper/lead setup is a special application setup.  For somebody working on their spread I'd focus on more basic stuff first.

If you are new to copper I would say just run copper and get comfortable with it.  On long coppers I wouldn't add lead.  Only place I used it was on short coppers running off boards and I felt I could get the copper deployed quicker with a little lead on the front- fishing high with multiple lines.  To me the copper/lead setup is a special application setup.  For somebody working on their spread I'd focus on more basic stuff first.
I am currently running a 10 color down the chute was just looking for more options for chute rods when lead core isn't working 300 or 400 mainly...or I hear the copper bite is good lol. Will also be running shorter coppers and leads off inline boards in spring.

So the lead on the end doesn't affect the overall presentation of the copper?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

IMO the presentation will be effected more by what you run on the end of the copper/lead.  Light spoon like a DW Super slim will run like it is on lead.  A big Mag spoon or flasher fly will run more like it is on straight copper.  The main reason I've added lead to copper was to speed up getting short coppers set on boards when running a light spoon.  Fixes a speed issue/deployment thing for me more than a presentation advantage.  Under certain conditions the hybrids do perform well-more of an early season setup.  

• 1 month later...

U can also,strip the lead back,6-8"'s using only the  core which is hollow run lthe copper up the lead core sheathing ,  tie back to back nail knots and coat with knot sense or u can whip the connection coat as stated.  

If umwhip it star above entry & whip so plenty over the connection covering both  ends ! Nail know one at inner line where wire meets lead other where where lead meets cooper coat as stated ! 

I've also used 16 carrier HC run both copper and core into a short pice of HC usually 60# HC works fine whip where they meet inside HC nice flat super strong connection with no hinging!