oil level in IO engine

High Bidder

oil level in IO engine

Two years ago I had to replace the oil pan on my 5.0 Ford engine. I used a ford van oil pan because it was the same shape as the original. The problem I have now is that when I change oil I can only get 3.5 qts out. Since I have to suck it out through the dipstick I don't know if oil is remaining in the pan or I don't have enough in it.  Removing the drain plug is next to impossible to completely drain the oil. Would the oil pan retain oil since it is a automotive type instead of marine original? The oil level on the dipstick shows full.

When you say "it was the same shape as the original " does that mean the holes all lined up, the side view was exactly the same as well as the top view. Did you fill each of them to see if they held the same amount of oil ? Hard to say without looking at it to see if it would retain oil ,depends on where the dipstick tube lines up with the configuration of the pan. Many pans have a high and low side. If you have been running it for 2 seasons and it hasn't seized up I would guess that around 1 quart was being left in the pan. Are you counting the oil filter in the 3.5 fill up? Most of them hold 1 to begin with unless your putting a small one on. Do you still have the old pan and can you google the year and models to see if you have the correct one. How much oil did it hold before you changed pans ? Hopefully a expert on this can chime in and set you straight.

Before I changed it i could get all 5 qts out including the filter. Everything lined up and everything looked the same inside and out. The drain hole was metric so I had to machine another bolt to attach the dipstick tube, which also serves as the suction tube. The drain was in the exact same position on the pan. I can't figure it out for sure and I don't feel like pulling the engine again so I guess I'll just run it.

• Like 1

So your not putting a hose down the filler tube ,just screwing a hose on the top of the tube ? If so I would buy a fluid evacuator [ Mighty Vac is top of the line ] from harbor freight/ebay/amazon etc and get one that the small diameter hose goes down the filler tube and bottoms out on the pan. Or just change your oil a bit sooner to hopefully compensate for what your leaving behind.

• Like 1

try buying some brake line and slide it down into your dip stick tube until it bottoms out then pull it out and ck it to see how much oil is on the end if it shows there is still oil in there just adapt the brake tube to oil extractor stick it all the way in and pump the rest out . 

• Like 1

The problem is a tube cannot be slid down the dipstick tube because of the bends in a Ford tube and also at the oil pan the dipstick tube adapter block is  fastened to the oil pan with a bolt that is ported . I'm not sure what that bolt is called but it is drilled partially lengthwise and then out the side to the fill tube. I guess at the end of the season I'll remove the exhaust manifold and loosen the fill tube to check if any oil is remaining.

Thanks

• Like 1

I put a fitting in my pan that has a 3/8 o.d. Hose fitting, in it I put a ball fitting in that accepts the same size hose on the other side which I then I have a hose that is coiled up that I put through the drain plug hole and the oil drains out of the bildge area to a container. One thing though I did this in the fall of the year, after the season, and being frustrated with all the other ways that failed my expectations. It's a SOB of a job, but it's a walk in the grass afterwards.

I put a fitting in my pan that has a 3/8 o.d. Hose fitting, in it I put a ball fitting in that accepts the same size hose on the other side which I then I have a hose that is coiled up that I put through the drain plug hole and the oil drains out of the bildge area to a container. One thing though I did this in the fall of the year, after the season, and being frustrated with all the other ways that failed my expectations. It's a SOB of a job, but it's a walk in the grass afterwards.

I have my boat set up exactly as you do Mike! This method works great for me every year. Way easier than trying to use tube down the dipstick tube.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Oh,, yea!! You have a Ford pan on. To bad you have that style pan on, Or your dilemma would be a much easier fix. I'm a ford fan when it comes to pickup trucks, but yes that was one of fords better ideas. LOL. As far as I know the only fix'en is put a automotive pan on with a drain plug in it. Unless you can drop the pan and can get at it to clean it out good, then you would have some options??

• 8 months later...

I can't answer your question.  But i can tell you when I use a Mitivac I can get the tube all the way down the dipstick  until it bottoms out.  I can suction out 4-4.5L of oil from my Mercruiser 4.3l V6.  It takes a while, and sucks.  But I only do it every other year.  IMHO people change the oil on their engines way too much.  We are sucking in much cleaner air out on the water than a car motor driving around town.