Cayuga instructor wanted trolling

Thought I had this figured out running dipsys last weekend two days of blanks running while others are catching would prove otherwise .... I am looking to hop in with someone for a day or have someone join me.. on my boat pm me if interested I will be at lake all week until Sunday I will cover all gas expenses and pay for whatever needed just want some show me what I'm missing guidance...

My boat 30 foot pursuit 2 down riggers manual 2 dipsy one lead core with fish hawk.. new at treeman

Again pm me if interested

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Try moving in to shallow water with your divers until they hit bottom. I think you will be surprised how shallow they are running on a 3 with 200 to 250 ft of line out. If I was to guess you are only down in the 40 to 50 ft range and that would be a generous estimate

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I am no expert but was told to figure 1 ft down for every 3 ft out on the Dipsys. So 250 ft out would be 83 ft down. I troll at 2.0 - 2.5 mph. I use #50 braided, to Dipsy, snubber and #20 flouro leader 6 ft to a spoon. Oh it is a #1 size Dipsy with a Monster ring that I max to left or right. I have been able to get lakers by Aurora last 2 years.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Yeah I have been doing exact same a monster ring should add 10 percent braided line 10 percent so 250 out according to chart should have it down 88-96 feet....

What size flashers are you guys using ?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Lewis - for starters with a setting of 3 and a standard size diver I'm pretty sure you are no where near 88-96 ft down. The reference charts also do not take into consideration underwater currents or many other factors that influence the direction and depth of dipseys or anything else attached to a line for that matter  as well. Keep in mind that although the #3 setting is advantageous for direction outward it also significantly brings anything attached to it upward and shallower as well. Another often neglected fact is that if the weight on the dipsey is moved PAST the #3 marked on it the diver can even surface it runs so shallow. There is also a point where especially with that setting you can keep letting out line thinking you are achieving greater depth when in fact the dipsey is just going farther out behind the boat and not actually deeper without slowing speed of the boat considerably. I use the 0 size and 1 size dipseys for shallow water applications (e.g. in the Spring and Fall)  but for most other times I use the Dreamweaver (used to be Walker) Deeper Divers which have a larger surface area and heavier adjustable weight allowing them to achieve much greater depth with less line out and I use them on wire. Wire usually accrues fleas less than braid (which I reserve for Spring and late Fall when the water temps aren't as suitable for flea concentrations) These divers seem to offer much more control as far as the settings go too and can achieve much greater depth with less line out so that you are closer to where you think you may be. One way to tell whether your diver is doing what you think is to attach a Fishawk TD to the line and let it out and then retrieve it and check the depth it was running at that number of feet out (you'll also be able to see the water temp there as well).You may be shocked by the result:) 

As of the other day I was quite surprised to find that many of the trout and salmon are in much shallower water than I expected (i.e. less than 75 feet of water and normally at this point in the season in the Fingers concentrations of them are much deeper and often even out in the middle. The bait was running from 40-65 ft down pretty much wherever we went in the northern section of the lake and in pretty heavy concentrations.....also somewhat unusual for this time of year. What this suggests is that trolling out in the deeper regions may be much less productive than normal and trolling more toward running lines deeper and toward bottom in closer may be more productive (and more risky as well). The trouble with it is you have to be VERY familiar with the bottom contours of the lake or at least the part of it being fished to successfully fish it or avoid hanging up on bottom as there are places where you can be in over 100 ft of water and immediately hit a "wall" 24 ft deep it comes up so fast. It could be difficult in there doing what you desire with a boat as big as yours. The lakers seem to be roaming all over up high in water way off of their usual temps way into the high fifties and sixties (e.g. 35 to 60 ft over whatever).

Edited by Sk8man

Sk8man is correct. I was out fishing last night for about two hours just south of Myers to just north of T-falls and caught fish both on Dipsy's and riggers. Running Mag Dipsy's using wire and a #1 setting anywhere from 145 - 185 feet of wire out using spin doctors and flies. Also caught fish on spoons running riggers between 55 feet and 75 feet down. Caught fish inside and outside. Inside meaning less than 100 feet of water near shore, outside anywhere from 250 to 400 feet of water. Decent group of silvers near crowbar point. Trolling speed was 2.2 - 2.6 SOG. Sorry don't have a fishhawk X4D yet hope to soon. If you are going to run a lot of dipsy's I would really suggest getting a TD fishhawk. Use this unit to develop your own dive charts for your boat setup. You might be surprised how different it will be compared to the chart that they give you. Remember success is in the details. Hang in there you will get it, hope this helps.

Lots of details switched to smaller flashers added a gambler rig [emoji79]put flashers on right way... stopped sticking to one general depth extended dipsys to 300-350 started with spoons and flys they hit flys. W preference for chartreuse and white retooled to match when found fish kept pounding area ....