When technology may not be your best friend :>)

Sk8man

When technology may not be your best friend :>)

Fished Cayuga today. Near the end of trolling we had a medical situation onboard and I had to very quickly clear 6 lines includig 2 300 coppers and a wire dipsy, and three cheated downriggers. Normally the downriggers work flawlessly despite being older Cannon 10 A's but one wouldn't come up from 35 ft so I had to hand roll it up (thankfully not down 100). We quickly motored to the launch and headed for home (Canandaigua about 40 miles away). When I went to put the boat away I was taking the down riggers off as usual and I looked at the Digitroll II and said WTH (see pic) That downrigger stays active when plugged in and I had forgotten to unplug it and when used earlier I had set it to cycle 5 ft up and then 5 ft down automatically to entice the fish. I forgot and left it plugged in and apparently ti was doing this all the time I was enroute home without the weight on it and while I had secured the terminus so the (new) 200lb wire just kept going over the side of the wheel :lol:. Looking for my sharp wire cutters right now :)

digiprob.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Hope all is well with the medical situation. Deep water trolling is like flying an airplane. Many settings, switches, and plugs to maintain and sometimes only the captain knows about them. Difficult to remain focused when situations like this come up. Hoping for the best for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Yes all is well thank you. I should have stated that in the above post and I apologize for not doing so. It was however an example to me of how unexpected circumstances can arise when you least expect them and having a whole bunch of equipment deployed sure doesn't help matters:)

Les hope things are ok with med situation . i enjoyed sending pics of the fish and texting you on the lake . after last night going back and forth , i said i go cayuga and show you. LOL . i too ended up in the emergency room i came home and was doing chores and ended with a dislocated shoulder .. i am good to go again little sore but ok . (take more than a bad shoulder to keep me form king fishing )   so i would  like to say thanks for the cable crimps sleeves . but it looks like you need them more than i :lol: 

:lol: Thanks Brian I always keep a supply for my screwups and I hope that shoulder straightens out bud. I have been through that ((both broken and dislocated at the same time rollerblading :)) I felt immediate relief as soon as they reset it  in the ER....not fun. We ended with 6 lakers and 1 bow all less than 5 lbs by the way. I guess we both got a little humbled by Cayuga today. I purposely tried to stay away from the lakers by not setting a line below 60 ft and trolling fast and they still came right after things even at 35 ft over 340:lol:

Edited by Sk8man

7 hours ago, Sk8man said:

:lol: Thanks Brian I always keep a supply for my screwups and I hope that shoulder straightens out bud. I have been through that ((both broken and dislocated at the same time rollerblading :)) I felt immediate relief as soon as they reset it  in the ER....not fun. We ended with 6 lakers and 1 bow all less than 5 lbs by the way. I guess we both got a little humbled by Cayuga today. I purposely tried to stay away from the lakers by not setting a line below 60 ft and trolling fast and they still came right after things even at 35 ft over 340:lol:

i ended up with 6 shorts LL and 1 keeper witch i cleaned it up , just can't say no to a LL meal. i too had trouble staying way from the lakers , had a lest 5, 6 hit at 2.6 to 2.8 all small 3 to 5 lb . had one hit on the 40 down rigger witch was the probe that read 57 degs over 150 fow . i will try to do better next time out . will try different waters been working the same side to long ...