Grady White needs an AUTOPILOT- Please help me!

garrymny

Got it installed

On 8/23/2017 at 8:26 PM, wallyandre said:

The trickiest part of it is the hydraulic bleeding; very important that you don't have any air in the system.

Look at the link there is a description of the part nclude with the kit. The fittings can be tricky too because seastar change the type of fittings in 2014 I think.

I saw a post the other day on how to bleed a hydraulic I will try to find it.

Very important that you look at the 2 videos made by Jacob Scott from Navico. Following those you will know where to go.

I watched his video on the installation. Looks easy enough. He is doing a newer boat, and he had a fitting that screwed into  a threaded port on top of the steering unit. Mine is not threaded. Just a rubber cap you remove, and there is a very small hole, maybe 1/8 inch to 3/16 diameter. down in the hole I can see a ball, and the spring pushing it.

Got it installed FINALLY. It does not work. It drives the steering wheel but does not drive the motor. I keep pushing power steer back and forth, and all it does is drive the steering wheel, motor does not move. NUTS! Fishing tomorrow without it.

weird, if I hold the steering wheel, it drives the motor fine.guess I'll have to call tech support. Maybe my helm pump is and old style that acts funny. In the mean time I made a steering lock and I will try the autopilot on the water.

I don't mean to sound like an ass, but did you get the lowrance autopilot for hydraulic steering or cable steering? Only reason I ask is cause my raymarine ev100 I had on the other boat was hydraulic and it never affected the wheel, and I know lowrance makes a hydro unit and a cable unit

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I got the one for hydraulic steering. It came with a pump and the hoses to connect to the helm pump. I'm anxious to try this on the water and see if it works. I don't mind locking the wheel when using the autopilot, if that's what it takes.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

UPDATE- Tried out the new Lowrance  autopilot today. Worked perfectly. I did have to lock my steering wheel, but that is ok with me, I can live with that. Must be something about my old helm pump.

My Lowrance autopilot doesn't affect the steering wheel. Only issue in having is a little air still in the lines. But the Autopilot itself is awesome. I played in Braddock's Bay yesterday doing circle, s turn and zigzags. I just have to figure out the"following a course". Also the depth holding while trolling is awesome for Lakers

Sent from my XT1650 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On 9/4/2017 at 1:03 PM, Jeremy Goodison said:

My Lowrance autopilot doesn't affect the steering wheel. Only issue in having is a little air still in the lines. But the Autopilot itself is awesome. I played in Braddock's Bay yesterday doing circle, s turn and zigzags. I just have to figure out the"following a course". Also the depth holding while trolling is awesome for Lakers

Sent from my XT1650 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

depth holding?  Haven't come across that function yet.......... awesome!