As far as releasing fish, I am no expert but try a few simple things. The small ones never come in the boat and the hook is removed while they are in the net over the side of the boat. The short fight keeps them lively enough to go right back. The larger ones are handled as little as possible, usually just for a quick pic at most. Then a boga type grip on a short lead for a few minutes over the side of the boat while resetting lines. They get released from the grip when they look ready. No idea what success rate is but i have yet to see one go belly up at least when in sight. This style of fishing is certainly a tough setting to use catch and release for sure. I do keep one occasionally for the grill :).

41 minutes ago, NorthRiver said:

As far as releasing fish, I am no expert but try a few simple things. The small ones never come in the boat and the hook is removed while they are in the net over the side of the boat. The short fight keeps them lively enough to go right back. The larger ones are handled as little as possible, usually just for a quick pic at most. Then a boga type grip on a short lead for a few minutes over the side of the boat while resetting lines. They get released from the grip when they look ready. No idea what success rate is but i have yet to see one go belly up at least when in sight. This style of fishing is certainly a tough setting to use catch and release for sure. I do keep one occasionally for the grill :).

Yeah it's been hit or miss the last few trips out, had to throw some of the larger ones on the grill lol. I appreciate the info I'll give that a try