Setting out a dipsy rod

Back off the drag so it it slowly goes out while it sets in the rod holder. Don't let it out by the rigger or by trying to thumb it with he drag released.

Edited by Sk8man

I reel the diver with in a foot of the rod tip and hold the leader line or flasher (or terminal tackle) with one hand a tip the rod out to the side with the other. Then I gently toss the terminal tackle a few feet off the side and watch that is straightens out and is running right. Lastly I put it in the rod holder and back off the drag so the dipsy creeps out to my desired length.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

Thanks Les. I actually had to explain and demo for my brother 2 days ago cause he just plopped everything over the side and it immediately tangled in the rigger! 🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

i set out about 10 feet so the dipsy starts to dig in and pull away from the boat . making sure the spin doctor and fly get pass the rigger .( my rods are 10 ft so it helps with the longer rod to pass the rigger) then i set the in the holder , as Sk8man said let out slow with the drag . the most important thing is the person at the helm keeps the lines straight  behind the boat and don't make any turns while while deploying  the dipsy 

14 minutes ago, fisherdude said:

i set out about 10 feet so the dipsy starts to dig in and pull away from the boat . making sure the spin doctor and fly get pass the rigger .( my rods are 10 ft so it helps with the longer rod to pass the rigger) then i set the in the holder , as Sk8man said let out slow with the drag . the most important thing is the person at the helm keeps the lines straight  behind the boat and don't make any turns while while deploying  the dipsy 

Very good point about no turns while deploying dipsy

Edited by MikeyP

6 hours ago, fisherdude said:

Keeping the boat straight is the most important and letting it out slow. Too fast and not only could it tangle in your other lines but it could spin and tangle itself thus not releasing if needed. There's no need to deploy dipseys first if you follow the above advise as I doubt you'll want to pick up your spread every time you take a shot on one of your dipsey rods. 

• Like 1

I just float the diver down the shoot with a free spool no drag and my thumb on the line controlling it as it goes out.  Get to between 50 and 60 feet of line out and put it in a rod holder or on the rigger rod holder itself.  Then I use the reel handle to click the anti reverse forward and loosen the drag a good bit to let the line go out by itself.  I always look at the rod tip too, make sure it is moving up and down as the line goes out.  Never tangle nothing at least since I've been using this method.  I also use about a 30' leader of spider braided line so the wire is always wound up in the reel and doesn't kink.  On my second year using the same wire and still have full reels on both my diver reels without any kinks etc.etc.  

Edited by longbow

The out the side method as described works great if your leader is equal or shorter than your rod length. If you want to use longer leader lengths or slide divers you will have to deploy off the back of the boat.

What I do in these cases is let out my leader off the back, on the same side the dipsey will be placed but inside my rigger. Then raise the rod tip up high, drop the diver to just above the water line, and do a slow pitch to the side and past my rigger before dropping the diver into the water. Thumb the spool with clicker engaged til you are a safe distance out (maybe 20-30 feet depending on diver setting), then place in holder, engage anti reverse, loosen drag and let it creep to my desired depth. 

This is also how I set my outside diver if I'm running 2 divers on 1 side.

• 6 months later...

Hey, I think the first thing is to wear the fishing sunglasses, by wearing sunglasses you can see the things more clearly. There are many options of fishing glasses are available on the Internet. But, one of the best is polarized sunglasses. You can wear polarized sunglasses while fishing.

On 8/27/2017 at 11:03 AM, Tyee II said:

The out the side method as described works great if your leader is equal or shorter than your rod length. If you want to use longer leader lengths or slide divers you will have to deploy off the back of the boat.

What I do in these cases is let out my leader off the back, on the same side the dipsey will be placed but inside my rigger. Then raise the rod tip up high, drop the diver to just above the water line, and do a slow pitch to the side and past my rigger before dropping the diver into the water. Thumb the spool with clicker engaged til you are a safe distance out (maybe 20-30 feet depending on diver setting), then place in holder, engage anti reverse, loosen drag and let it creep to my desired depth. 

This is also how I set my outside diver if I'm running 2 divers on 1 side.

i do this I used to set it out the side by tossing the lure out while holding the rod and between catching the rigger or having the spoon or fly flip back on itself and wrap I got sick of it so tried different methods.  running it out the shoot turned out to be the easiest to do and to teach. this method is also a lot easier in rough weather.

• Like 1