Pancake vs Shark Weights

Pancake vs Shark Weights

I know alot of people say you get issues with pancakes and tangles... I have been running 10lb pancakes for two years now without any issues (on a 18ft boat too). I currently cannot see my weights on my sonar and I doubt any style 10lb weight will allow me to see them at salmon speeds. But I was curious how much less blow back I would see by switching to shark style weights. Im running older Cannon Mag 10s so I really can't lift anything over 10, maybe 12lbs max. I guess I want to make sure the difference will be worth the $100+ a set of sharks will cost.

Edited by FishingFool34

The pancake weights are probably the poorest designed  of all the weights as they not only go back but to the side as well. I think you'd be a VERY happy camper with either Troutman's torpedo's or bikinibottoms shark weights and it is money well spent in my opinion.

Edited by Sk8man

4 minutes ago, Sk8man said:

The pancake weights are probably the poorest designed  of all the weights as they not only go back but to the side as well. I think you'd be a VERY happy camper with either Troutman's torpedo's or bikinibottoms shark weights and it is money well spent in my opinion.

That's what I was looking for thanks! Now I have to decide if I want to risk upping to 12s or stick with the 10s that I know I can lift.

Edited by FishingFool34

This morning I picked up my 12 lb torpedo weights from troutman 87. I also had pancakes and I also have cannon mag 10. I will tell you how they work tomorrow in 4 foot waves.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

WIEGHTS AT THE FLTA TACKLE SHOW AND SALE

I will be set up across from the food concession with downrigger weights and Seth Green trolling sinkers. Torpedos 12 and 16 pounds,balls 16 to 6 pounds,herbies(fish) 10 and 14 pounds. Sinkers 40 oz. to 20 oz. Rich from Custom Downrigger Weights will be there with his Shark weights-10 to16 pounds.Great weights at great prices!

I will be set up across from the food concession with downrigger weights and Seth Green trolling sinkers. Torpedos 12 and 16 pounds,balls 16 to 6 pounds,herbies(fish) 10 and 14 pounds. Sinkers 40 oz. to 20 oz. Rich from Custom Downrigger Weights will be there with his Shark weights-10 to16 pounds.Great weights at great prices!

Where and when is this

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I too have the Cannon 10A's and I have 3 of the bikinibottom sharks and love them. I figure that the extra 2 lbs. weight won't give me enough difference in blowback etc. to make up for slowing up the retrieve and taxing the motors more than the max. recommended weight. I seldom use them below 100 ft. anyway. In the absence of a Fishawk X4D I allow an extra 15 ft or so on the counter when running them deep and go by my finder anyway. I know it may seem like extra trouble but for folks who have the Fishawk TD and not the X4D you can get a pretty good estimate of how blowback is effecting your actual depth (comparing against your counter and GPS speed) by running the TD on the weight and retrieve it (also get an idea of the temp down there) as a starting point for fishing

Edited by Sk8man

1 hour ago, Sk8man said:

I too have the Cannon 10A's and I have 3 of the bikinibottom sharks and love them. I figure that the extra 2 lbs. weight won't give me enough difference in blowback etc. to make up for slowing up the retrieve and taxing the motors more than the max. recommended weight. I seldom use them below 100 ft. anyway. In the absence of a Fishawk X4D I allow an extra 15 ft or so on the counter when running them deep and go by my finder anyway.

yeah that makes sense, odds are I still wont see them on my sonar either way and no point in ruining my gear over it. Just put a new motor in one rigger and it wasn't cheap. I use a fishawk TD so I usually have a pretty good idea of where I'm at depth wise.

What are the Pros/Cons on torpedos vs sharks?

I can personally agree with Les as I have my own 10# mold to make pancake weights, I messed with all kinds of tail designs, with minimal improvement!! I bought a set of TroutMans 12# torpedos and have never looked back!! Actually I sold the mold to a guy who was going to use the weight mold for lawn tractor pulling weightsLOL.image.thumb.jpg.3515230c692d1349f5446b4a548910bb.jpg

1 hour ago, stoneam2006 said:

I'm on tapatalk there's nothing to click on i have seen both their weights tho I was wondering about the show

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Lasts years info :

March 26, 2017

Sunday   9:00 AM - 2:00 PM

Watkins Glen Community Center

Boat Launch Road
Watkins Glen, New York 14891

Map
PERFORMERS:
  • No Performers Listed

I use both the shark and pancake 10 lb weights.  The pancakes work fine but only if your using pinch releases attached to the fin.  Zero issues with them with that release attachment point.   Very unpredictable with a blacks or roemer release above the ball. 

As far as blow back goes the sharks have less but are slower on the retrieve due to how they plane in the water.

Edited by Borch