Trolling speed without guage.

Hey fellas,

We are trolling around with out any speed guage and temp probe. Is there any way we can tell if we are going to fast or slow by the blowback angle on the down rigger cables. Also, what lures should we be running that would work at multiple speeds. I think we are trolling around 3mph but have no idea. Target speed is somewhere between 2.5-3.2 im guessing.

Thanks for any help.

Jay

Before we got our new probe, I would drop a downrigger or a "thumper" with a doger/fly. On either rig, watch the rod tip, it will gently bounce up and down when the dodger is working properly (side to side) at a range from about 1.5 to 2.3 top end. IF it quits bouncing, you are spinning the dodger and above 2.3. Staging Kings often like it a little slower, so Many times keep bumping the speed until you loose the bounce, then bring it back to the top end of the bounce "range" and you will be in business.

Visual indicators like a stream of bubbles coming off the cables and bend on the diver rods can get you in the ballpark, but every boat is different with those types of things...

As a general statement, if you're pulling heavier blank spoons, you'd like to see some bubbles coming off the cables and nice hard bends on your diver rods to ensure you're moving about 2.5 mph, but that can be misleading with currents.

We did this for years and there is no doubt that it will be differant almost every day . If your running flasher/fly combo off the rigger hook one up and drop it down 5 feet ajust until it looks good then drop it down same thing with your spoons currants will be differant below . once you get set-up ajust up and down until you get some hits and take note of cable angle and the bow on your dipsy rods if running them . Also depending on wind and currents you will have to do it all over when changing direction.

Do yourself a favor and start saving for a speed and temp unit . Once you add one you will not beleve how many more fish you will catch and how much more time you get to fish insted of messing around

We added it about 3 years ago and the first time out with it we caught 4 times more then normal the temp really makes a diff.

I agree totaly. Get a depth raider. I won a derby 2 days after I installed mine. Found out I was going way to slow for the browns and salmon.

Before that I used a thumper rod and it worked well but with only 2 people on board its a pain to run and I would loose out on running a wire dipsy rig.

RR

If you have a GPS unit on board you can use your SOG (speed over ground) to determine trolling speed. Generally speaking, a SOG of 2.7 to 3.0 will get you in the ballpark. Pay attention to the details---like WHEN you get bites. On a turn, did the inside rod fire or the outside one? Do you diver rods seem to be pulling extra hard? Take note of your SOG when a rod fires and then duplicate that speed and ANGLE relative to the shoreline. One of the most important factors in maintaining consistent speed in Lake O is maintaining a consistent angle. Currents affect speed more than anything else so your angle relative to that current is critical.

Two of the most successful charter captains and tournament fisherman at Oak Orchard use those very techniques to determine their trolling speed. Both Dave Siegfried (Tracker) and Bob Stevens (Sunrise II) do NOT own speed/temp units and yet both are extremely successful.

Good luck!

Paul

Free Spirit

is it possible to have a gps speed of 3.5-3.9 and a repth raider speed of 2.3-2.5 ? it seems like a big gap.i never used the depth raider last year and ran on gps of 2.4-2.7 and caught alot of fish{well more than this year}this year im going by the depth raider and it seems like im flying on the water.and on four trips i come back with 1 brown