Low speed wander !

Dr W

Low speed wander !

Any one ever heard of this system ?

My single screw IO is a beast to steer at low speed [ most are]

I know all the tricks like trim up and put eh tabs down , but I just read about this

outfit and I am considering order one and trying it out.

This year crossing the Bay at idle accentuated this issue for me.

Any thoughts from the board?

http://www.propguardmarine.com/index.html

Dr W

I Looked at the Wonder fin and considered it but it will not work with my

Trolling plate where the Prop guard will .

I thought of asking a fabrication shop to make a Stainless steel ring

like the Prop guard that would attach to the cavation plate and the scag

to create a duct-ed fan affect which would work in my opinion.

It would also keep some stuff out of the prop as well.

From what I read with your link it didn't say anything about low /idle speed handling . To me it looks like drag being added on to the outdrive and ventilation plate . To me that would negate any top end gains, which the report showed it lost with one boat and gained with the other. I would think the area immediately around the prop would not have any effect on compacting the thrust. Maybe 6" to a foot behind the prop would condense the thrust like a jet engine. And if it worked that great Mercruiser would of developed something like that as a stock unit years ago. People have been complaining about I/O wander for decades, more so with the deeper V hulls. Seems more like a sales gimmick but what do I know ? Maybe try googling it and see what kind of feedback you can find. Having said all that give it a try and report back one way or another if you want to.

I had the Wanderfin on my 22' Penn Yan when I owned it. It definitely helped. However...it cracked the horizontal fin it mounts to. It cracked just the fin, not into the drive case. Maybe it was my fault or not from drilling the holes for mounting. Slightly mis-aligned holes and it was torqueing maybe.

13 hours ago, Bozeman Bob said:

From what I read with your link it didn't say anything about low /idle speed handling . To me it looks like drag being added on to the outdrive and ventilation plate . To me that would negate any top end gains, which the report showed it lost with one boat and gained with the other. I would think the area immediately around the prop would not have any effect on compacting the thrust. Maybe 6" to a foot behind the prop would condense the thrust like a jet engine. And if it worked that great Mercruiser would of developed something like that as a stock unit years ago. People have been complaining about I/O wander for decades, more so with the deeper V hulls. Seems more like a sales gimmick but what do I know ? Maybe try googling it and see what kind of feedback you can find. Having said all that give it a try and report back one way or another if you want to.

Bob I would give up a mile or two per hr  if it did correct the problem . It would make trolling so much better and canal trips better.

A trolling plate is likely making the problem worse since you are decreasing the effective thrust from the prop.  Adding a prop guard to concentrate the thrust may be counter productive with a trolling plate?

You could leave your trolling plate "up" and try a couple trolling bags to slow you down while trolling.  They might solve both issues for you while trolling

I'm planning to be at Arney's this week Thursday afternoon - Saturday and can let you borrow a pair to try.  If interested send me a pm.

Thanks guys

Mudflat I have a bag and have used it. This is a new boat [to me] and we were out

yesterday and trolling is not a problem . it is in tight quarters like on the Canal that

is a bit ugly. 

My Trolling plate has 3 positions and in the 45 degree down it works great for trolling at

2.2 to 2.6 mph

The Wife wants to do a Canal tour ???  and that is where I want help, but I suspect that

there is not much that can be done to correct this problem except trade up to a bigger

inboard system.

Thanks guys
Mudflat I have a bag and have used it. This is a new boat [to me] and we were out
yesterday and trolling is not a problem . it is in tight quarters like on the Canal that
is a bit ugly. 
My Trolling plate has 3 positions and in the 45 degree down it works great for trolling at
2.2 to 2.6 mph
The Wife wants to do a Canal tour ???  and that is where I want help, but I suspect that
there is not much that can be done to correct this problem except trade up to a bigger
inboard system.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The next time you are on the water and experience the "wander", send someone as far forward in the boat as possible. See if the wander goes away or calms down. The "wander" is often called "yaw" and can be eliminated or minimalized by moving weight forward. My last boat needed 200 lbs added near the bow and was rock steady after that.

Sent from my VS995 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

3 hours ago, Instigator said:

The next time you are on the water and experience the "wander", send someone as far forward in the boat as possible. See if the wander goes away or calms down. The "wander" is often called "yaw" and can be eliminated or minimalized by moving weight forward. My last boat needed 200 lbs added near the bow and was rock steady after that.

Sent from my VS995 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Make sure you tell the wife that you need 200 lbs of ballast up in the bow area and to get a move on it !!!  hahaha

Dr. W I have the same issues, why you look like a drunk'en sailor LOL. the only fix is to get the front of the boat down in the water, well your a veteran of the water, the a$$ end sit lower in the water than the front and the ribs that stabilize you boat at greater speeds aren't in the water. Every person and marinea told me the same thing, add weight to the front of the boat. So I did, it worked, I ended up with 300# up in the bunk and the boat drove as if it were on plane very happy!! Till I went to put it on the trailer, which I did give some thought to but never thought it would be as punishing as it was. If your a slip boater ok if not better have new no marking rollers on.