First fish in NY

Rode my bike to the Erie Canal. I learned why Highland Ave. is named Highland Ave. along the way.

100_1900.jpg

Beautiful sight this canal. My first fish was a small largemouth. He hit my spinnerbait right at my feet. It sure was great feeling somethin pull on my line again.

100_1899.jpg

Went a little bit up East and hooked this guy.

100_1901.jpg

That was exciting. Not big, but as a kid growin up in CA I used to always dream of catching a pike. Never had the chance until now.

100_1902.jpg

I walked up to where the river meets the canal. Looked like some good fishin in there, but it was impossible to fish with all the foliage. I found one spot and a fish hit my lure at my feet again but didn't set. It ended being my last bite of the day.

100_1903.jpg

Went back to the canal and worked it east and tried every spot along the way hoping to hook a walleye. Next time I go I will bring some live bait.

It was a lot of fun and I am thankful for the advice from everyone on this site.

Til next time,

Phil

[/url]

Black creek would be SOUTH from there, about 3 or so miles. Like I said previously too, there's plenty of shore fishing spots there, at the corner of Scottsville Road and Jefferson. There is even a small launch into Black Creek if you can get your kayak out that way. I've put my aluminum boat in there and hammered the pike back in the creek. Glad you had a good time! On your Birthday even wasn't it!

Hey, did you get your kayak out on Friday? We were trolling Lake Ontario off of Lighthouse Point in about 60 fow and some guy was fishing out of his kayak...looked like he put one on at one point, too. It would have been perfect conditions, since the cold water blew in and the fish were pushed toward shore. Anyway, if it wasn't you, then you've got some company for trolling the big pond.

Gator,

Nothin' but Net

No, it wasn't me, but I sure am jealous. How far offshore are the fish? I am used to paddling a few miles offshore in the ocean. If they are within five miles, I can get them. I need the exercise.

I guess I would need some lead core line though...

Getting a sleigh ride from a salmon sure sounds fun!

Til next time,

Phil

Phil,

From here on out, the salmon should be sniffing around the river mouths for the spawn, if not actually running. You won't have to go more than a mile offshore; in fact, you might have an advantage trolling around the pierheads at the Genesee being so small and able to work tight. If you're in that close, you don't even need leadcore. I'd try a snapweight attached 30 ft up from a j-plug or some such lure. The depth of water would be anywhere from 15-30 ft, in general. Just be aware, they call it "combat fishing" and you'll have company. Good luck!

Gator