Modified Inline Planer Boards

I was reading the Pro-Tips section on the Bloodrun website and came across this article on modifying Church/Offshore walleye boards to be able to pull copper and leadcore. Curious to know if anyone has tried this with any success? How much copper/LC were you able to pull with walleye boards? I have 3 pairs of walleye boards and wouldn't mind trying this on a set if I knew it worked well.

https://bloodruntackle.com/inline-planer-board-modifications/

7 hours ago, FishingFool34 said:

I was reading the Pro-Tips section on the Bloodrun website and came across this article on modifying Church/Offshore walleye boards to be able to pull copper and leadcore. Curious to know if anyone has tried this with any success? How much copper/LC were you able to pull with walleye boards? I have 3 pairs of walleye boards and wouldn't mind trying this on a set if I knew it worked well.

https://bloodruntackle.com/inline-planer-board-modifications/

The mods work very well. Walleye boards will pull up to 300' copper.

• 7 months later...

I did all of those mods last year on my Church and Offhore boards.  None of it helped.  Pulling deep diving cranks or jet divers on erie for walleye.  The boards just don't plane out far enough.  I wouldn't dare trying to run 2 boards per side.

Im done jacking around with them.  I got some Cisco reels and pulleys and some Auroralite boards on the way.

3 hours ago, jigstick said:

I did all of those mods last year on my Church and Offhore boards.  None of it helped.  Pulling deep diving cranks or jet divers on erie for walleye.  The boards just don't plane out far enough.  I wouldn't dare trying to run 2 boards per side.

Im done jacking around with them.  I got some Cisco reels and pulleys and some Auroralite boards on the way.

i'll take them boards of your hands!

Then you didn't do it right.
There's a reason all the walleye pros run inlines in the big walleye tournies. The Michigan tournament boats run all inlines pulling everything up to 450 coppers. I've personally seen them running 4 to a side.

Good luck with your big boards.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

something isn’t right... I pull full size thunderstick divers running 25ft deep off unmodified boards with no problems. Never tried 3 boards but I run 2 per side just about every time I’m out. I modified a set just like they said to and they pull 300 coppers just like they said they would do. 

Both offshore and church make a larger inline board as well. If I ran longer than 300 coppers more often I wouldn’t hesitate to try those.

Edited by FishingFool34

Yea I have to agree with Paul, somthing is not right, I went on walleye charters that run 4 aside!! Mark Romanack would have a stroke if his boards worked that poor, don’t matter what release your using on the board as long as it isn’t slipping, did you try sliding the weight front or back?? If a clown like me can get them out to the side anyone can do it!! One thing I did notice coming from big boards to the offshore yellow boards is it takes some getting used to, you don’t have that banjo tight line going out, but it still tight it also helps if you angle your pole not quite towards the board with just a tad of upscope enough so if a good fish hits it won’t pull the pole out of the holder.  With the slower speeds of walleye fishing I had these experiences, but certainly not to the extremes you are talking about. Another thing I thought about it takes a lot more line out once clipped to the board than bigboards, and everything we try to do to keep the big boards strait out  or as close to strait out from the boat you can, throw all that out the window!! These boards will lag waaay on behind the boat. That takes some getting use to also.

Edited by pap

I moved the weight forward.  I heated the bracket with a lighter and bent it upward slightly.  Everything mentioned on the bloodrun article I did.  I did these mods to both Offshore OR12s and Church Tackle TX22s, and Church Tackle Walleye Boards.

None of them will run more than 20yds out laterally from the boat.  My rod holders for these rods are mounted to my roof...as high as I can get them.  Pulling 30-40 Jets, 5-7 color lead core, deep diving reef runners and tail dancers.  Ill have 300ft of line out and all the boards do is get further behind the boat...and still only 20yds our laterally.

5 hours ago, jigstick said:

I moved the weight forward.  I heated the bracket with a lighter and bent it upward slightly.  Everything mentioned on the bloodrun article I did.  I did these mods to both Offshore OR12s and Church Tackle TX22s, and Church Tackle Walleye Boards.

None of them will run more than 20yds out laterally from the boat.  My rod holders for these rods are mounted to my roof...as high as I can get them.  Pulling 30-40 Jets, 5-7 color lead core, deep diving reef runners and tail dancers.  Ill have 300ft of line out and all the boards do is get further behind the boat...and still only 20yds our laterally.

60ft to the side is prolly about right depending on what you’re pulling. So you’re not comfortable running 2 boards in a 60ft space? I doubt my outside board is ever more than 50ft off the side when running doubles and I have room to run a third IMO. How far away do you want the board to run? 

Edited by FishingFool34

4 hours ago, jigstick said:

I’d prefer the furthest board 40-50yds out. When my buddy’s run their AuroraLite boards they have those guys out 60-70yds off each side. 

I took a peak at the Auroralite board and the first thing I saw was the front release to the pole is damn near at the top, kinda what the modifications they want you to do on the OffShore boards. I couldn’t get the pic to spin but I be will to bet a dozen donuts that the weight is on the front to make that leading edge bite into the water. Another thing is if your a troller that likes speeds at 1.2 or less I don’t see that board going out 40-50 yards your talking 120 - 150’ it ain’t gonna happen with a single board, and would be a challenge with the big boards. If it’s a slow mph bite I’ll only run two boards per side, maybe two riggers straight back or a Shute rod with a chain bead keel weight. Now pump your speed up to 1.8-9 or my favorite is 2.2-3 now those boards will work to there potential!! Lots to get used to, and it’s hard to get away from what you know works and not get frustrated with the mental lack of the way we think it should be doing. When I switched to inlines  I felt the same way, all this money and work for this piece of shyt board that doesn’t “work half as good as my other boards” just food for thought. PAP

When I’m walleye fishing I’m going 2.2mph at the ball. It really doesn’t make sense to me.  When you look at the pictures on Bloodruns article they show the boards almost even with the boat. Straight off the side of the boat. And running far out there. My boards won’t even do that.  In order to get them to run 20-30ft out from the boat I have to let a tremendous amount of line out...makin the boards run way far behind the boat. Almost like I’m dragging them. It’s such a headache

I don’t know about strait out from the boat? I went on a charter last year with some friends and they knew how to run those boards, so that gave the captain lots of time to talk to us about fishing stuff. I thought the same thing they were far behind the boat, like it was difficult to tell if the flags were up or what, those guys didn’t think anything was wrong?? I was a little puzzled, like I’m used to the big boards, I come to think that’s their way of being stealthy, the boats through that area long before the boards follow through?? I just thought that the norm with these things?? There was 3 guys including the capt. operating these boards no one seemed alarmed?? It’s something that we have to get use to??

what are you using for line to the boards??

Edited by pap

When I’m walleye fishing I’m going 2.2mph at the ball. It really doesn’t make sense to me.  When you look at the pictures on Bloodruns article they show the boards almost even with the boat. Straight off the side of the boat. And running far out there. My boards won’t even do that.  In order to get them to run 20-30ft out from the boat I have to let a tremendous amount of line out...makin the boards run way far behind the boat. Almost like I’m dragging them. It’s such a headache

Send me them boards, I'll test them.

Ok I’m going to do the modifications to my brand new Off Shore boards, does anyone have the inch’s from the board to the bend?? Also how did you know when your bend was at a 45* angle?? Waiting on my upgrade releases for on the boards. Thanks for any help!! PAP.

old trends die hard like big boards. The simplicity of a little inline board is great. We talk about allowing no slack in the line when you hook a fish them we put a realease down a line and allow the fish releasing the line creating a huge amount of slack. 

I miss my big boards for shallow water fishing but running segmented cores off in lines are much more efficient in my opinion. 

Don't do it! I did the mods on 6 walleye boards. They ran worse. Called Church and talked about it, they knew all about blood run video. Church does not recommend the mods on that video.Ended up buying 6 new arms to replace the ones I bent up with the lighter. MHO.